The Cubs took down the Cardinals this weekend (three outta five ain’t bad), picked up a new reliever, and factored prominently into other reliever rumors.
Friday, July 20
- Late Thursday night, so it was *almost* Friday, the Cubs traded for reliever Jesse Chavez.
- Willson Contreras’s All-Star experience with his family was beautiful.
- Who the Cubs lost in the Jesse Chavez deal.
- Love for Victor Caratini and Jason Heyward and other Bullets.
- Brandon Morrow hit the disabled list after an MRI revealed a biceps issue.
- Yu Darvish figures to be out at least a few more weeks, which at least provides clarity going into the Trade Deadline.
- The latest from the rumor mill, with bits on Chris Archer, the Cardinals selling, buyers of starting pitchers, Jacob deGrom, and more.
- The Cubs got smoked by the Cardinals in Friday’s game.
- Although the Cubs are high on Zach Britton, they were reportedly also considering Jeurys Familia before he was dealt elsewhere a day later.
- Speaking of Britton, any interest in a Britton-Dylan Bundy combo deal?
Saturday, July 21
- The Cubs had a minor leaguer hit for the cycle, and they’ve got a 16-year-old hitting well in rookie ball.
- A deeper dive on new Cubs reliever Jesse Chavez.
- Lots of roster moves in the bullpen for the Cubs this weekend.
- Jon Lester isn’t all about that data, but that’s not necessarily a problem.
- In the first game of Saturday’s double header, the Cubs took down the Cardinals.
- It featured an absurd play by Javy Baez.
- The Cubs are reportedly “deeply involved” in the Zach Britton trade talks., which made even more sense after the A’s traded for Jeurys Familia.
- The Cubs lost a late lead and couldn’t take Saturday night’s game.
- Javy Baez was ejected in the game for ridiculous reasons, and then Joe Maddon got the boot.
Sunday, July 22
- Luke took a look at the Cubs’ Dominican Summer League prospects.
- Rotation disruption, Rizzo’s breakout, Josh Hader’s standing ovation, and other Bullets.
- Among the teams talking to the Orioles about Zach Britton, the Cubs and Astros are said to be trying to “match up prospects.”
- Lefty Drew Smyly threw a simulated game at Wrigley Field.
- The Mets reportedly really are engaging in discussions on their aces, Jacob deGrom and Noah Syndergaard.
- The Cubs closed out the weekend by taking the five-game series from the Cardinals (their first five-game series win against the Cardinals since … hmm … a certain NLDS that basically ended the Cardinals reign of terror … ).
MLBits: Judge Hits No. 62; Triple Crown Still Possible, Braves Clinch NL East, Postseason Bracket Set, More
Cubs Prospect Notes: Caissie is LOUD and Plays Burger Hero, Devers Decision, Mervis, Minor League Record, More
The Final Day is Here, Assad’s Success and Role, Cubs Connections to Sox Manager Search, and Other Cubs Bullets