The humidity, man. It’s quite a thing to behold right now. Three steps outside and you’re soaked.
- This GIF perfectly sums up not only the human error side of calling balls and strikes, but also how ridiculous Kyle Hendricks’ command can be. Yes, this is TWO pitches, and they were back-to-back:
- The Cubs have won six of ten – quietly – but that’s still not been enough to put any kind of distance between themselves and the blistering hot Brewers, who beat the Rockies again yesterday. It’s still just a one-game lead for the Cubs in the Central, though they do still have a three-game lead in the loss column.
- Joe Maddon likes to read the body language of his players, and it sounds like he believes he’s seeing good things from Yu Darvish, who threw 55 pitches in a bullpen session yesterday (Cubs.com).
- Also, Yu Darvish remains low-key funny/mysterious:
Darvish was asked if he'll talk to A-Rod when he comes to town next weekend. He said if A-Rod texts him, he'll screenshot it, print it and frame it. We all laughed and as he walked away, Yu said, "I'm not joking."
— Sahadev Sharma (@sahadevsharma) August 4, 2018
- Today, he’s an MVP candidate. Four years on this date, he was a cookie:
- That swing. Man. What a glorious mess it was. But that debut (COOKIES!) was so much fun, and really that whole period in 2014 was fantastic. It was an obvious turning point for the organization (the Cubs were borderline good in the second half of 2014), and getting to see awesome Cubs prospect Javier Baez hit a game-winning homer in his debut felt like something we fans really deserved. Oh, what was to come …
- Pedro Strop gets it so completely:
Pedro Strop, acting Cubs closer and morale booster: pic.twitter.com/0qORJ0GbAC
— Cubs Talk (@NBCSCubs) August 4, 2018
- Who wouldn’t want to play with him?
- What in the world is #AtBrewers doing going after #AtRockies:
— Milwaukee Brewers (@Brewers) August 5, 2018
- It’s not even clever or funny. So what exactly is the point, #AtBrewers?
- Cole Hamels, who makes start number two with the Cubs tomorrow night in Kansas City, but won’t debut at Wrigley until the next series:
— MBDChicago (@MBDChicago) August 5, 2018
- Long-standing Angels manager Mike Scioscia is reportedly stepping down at the end of this season.
- Over in your Bears Bullets:
— Bleacher Nation Bears (@BN_Bears) August 5, 2018
- The MLB Shop has a 20% off sale going on today with the code BAT20.
- Board games, books, trampolines, and space-saver bags are your Deals of the Day at Amazon today.