The Cubs got a little warm leading up to the weekend, and got scorching hot by the end of it. They pulled off the four-game sweep of the Reds, and there was plenty to touch on this weekend …
Friday, August 24
- Cole Hamels hasn’t just been good with the Cubs – he’s been better than Justin Verlander was with the Astros.
- Among Friday’s Bullets, Baeizzo is hot, Daniel Murphy addressed LGBTQ fans, and more.
- The Cubs made an amazing video trying to answer the question of whether Javy Baez could tag out Javy Baez.
- Kolten Wong says there’s something wrong if he doesn’t win the Gold Glove at second base.
- The Brewers claimed Matt Harvey on waivers but couldn’t come to a deal for him.
- Daniel Murphy hit his first home run as a Cub, as his power still seems to be there. It was necessary, as the Cubs wound up taking the game into extra innings, when …
- It ended in the most perfect way, with David Bote playing walk-off hero again!
Saturday, August 25
- More on David Bote’s heroics (again!), and fun from Players Weekend.
- Wondering why tanking has exploded in baseball? It starts with unintended consequences.
- Alec Mills was so good on Friday that the Cubs started thinking about how they might keep him in the rotation.
- Kris Bryant is working with a two-handed finish on his swing now, and it certainly played well in BP.
- The Cubs put up a 10-spot on the Reds to take the third game of the series. Kyle Schwarber hit career homer 69 in the game, and Javy Baez crushed one with a Sammy hop.
Sunday, August 26
- With the Cardinals and Brewers both dropping blowouts on Saturday, the Cubs increased their divisional lead to smile-inducing levels.
- The Cubs keep pushing their season to new heights and grinding away their at bats. Who’da thunk I could say such things just a week ago?
- After his brilliant start on Friday, the Cubs announced that Alec Mills would get another turn in the rotation.
- Anthony Rizzo sang ‘Piano Man’ at a charity event, and God bless him.
- The big news from Sunday was that Kris Bryant would start a rehab assignment with the Iowa Cubs TODAY.
- The Cubs finished off the sweep by blasting the Reds 9-0. David Bote and Kyle Schwarber both went deep again.
Early Spring Training Arrivals and Visuals: Hoerner, Suzuki, Steele, Horton, Amaya, Davis, Mervis, More
Hitters Are Happy About Shift Limits (But), the First Base Mix of Playing Time, Early 20th Century Cubs Uniforms Are Great, and Other Cubs Bullets
Jed Hoyer Speaks: Learning Lessons from Failure, The “Front Edge” of a Successful Run, Rizzo, Suzuki, Bellinger, Hosmer, More
How Much Has the Three-Batter-Minimum Rule Impacted Lefty Relievers? And How Is it Impacting Free Agency?
Senior Bowl Standouts, Creative Mock Drafts, Digging into a Top 50 Prospects List, and Other Bears Bullets
All-Star Thoughts, Prospect Hype Train Rolling, Lafferty Trade Interest, and Other Blackhawks Bullets