The overnight reports on David Ortiz, who was shot in the Dominican Republic last night, seem to be scary but positive, if that’s a thing.
This is the last information we have on David Ortiz’s condition. He’s currently in intensive care, where he will remain for at least the next 24 hours. It’s worth noting that he’s reported to be in stable condition. We’ll update you after @Enrique_Rojas1 arrives at the clinic. https://t.co/bRUOQ9wrBb
— Marly Rivera (@MarlyRiveraESPN) June 10, 2019
Hopefully Ortiz remains stable and recovers well from such a horrible attack.
- Pedro Strop comes in for the ARDUOUS one-pitch save to complete the Cubs sweep of the Cardinals:
— Chicago Cubs (@Cubs) June 10, 2019
- Hey, I joke, but that was a nice play, and some excellent excitement there from Strop. Carl Edwards Jr. almost certainly could have finished that inning before four runs scored, but it’s nice to have the comfort of Strop back there right now, juuuuust in case.
- And in a few weeks, that’ll be Craig Kimbrel, with Strop pitching earlier in the game. That’s gonna be sweet.
- Speaking of Kimbrel’s debut, just something to keep in mind:
- This is just a cool video:
- As Jordan Bastian correctly says, it’s still way too soon to say that there’s something certain or lasting here, but you never know what can happen when a veteran who was formerly dominant gets into a new situation:
Theo, on Carlos Gonzalez earlier this week: "With a player of his caliber, you're always intrigued if a change of scenery can spur a revival."
CarGo has a single and a homer for the Cubs tonight. Sample size alert, but he's hit 18% above league average since coming to Chicago.
— Jordan Bastian (@MLBastian) June 10, 2019
- So far with the Cubs, Gonzalez is hitting .250/.350/.500 with a 118 wRC+ … through 20 plate appearances. He’s struck out in eight of those PAs, so you could be negative about the small sample just as easily as positive. For now, it’s been a nice stretch, and we’ll see what comes.
- Lefty Xavier Cedeño is headed back to AAA Iowa to start his rehab assignment (left wrist inflammation). We’ll see if and when he becomes ready how the Cubs will handle more bullpen shuffling. With Kimbrel’s arrival, there will be one fewer spot available for the many, many AAA options the Cubs have to move up and down. As it is, there already is not a spot in the big league pen for Tony Barnette, Tim Collins, Dillon Maples, James Norwood, Randy Rosario, Allen Webster, and Rowan Wick.
- If you missed it this weekend, the Cubs have inked their top draft pick.
- I actually love every bit of this:
— Today in MLB (@TodayintheMLB) June 9, 2019
Muncy: “Bumgarner said ‘don’t watch the ball, run’, and I just told him if he doesn’t want me to watch the ball, go get it out of the ocean.”
— Joe Davis (@Joe_Davis) June 9, 2019
Bumgarner: “I can’t even say it with a straight face but the more I think about it, I should just let the kids play. But I just … I can’t. … They want to let everybody be themselves, then let me be myself. That’s me.”
— Andrew Baggarly (@extrabaggs) June 9, 2019
- It’s a very Father’s-Day-y Deals of the Day at Amazon today, from watches to tools to razors and more.