Hey, man. They had a five-game winning streak, and then lost a game. I’m not gonna get all sour about a blowout yesterday. Moving on today. I feel fine. I’m getting really good at getting over blowouts.
- It kinda seems like the best thing anyone could come up with about yesterday’s lopsided loss is that it gave Joe Maddon an opportunity to get a few innings of rest for his regulars (Cubs.com): “That should be beneficial, hopefully. I wanted [Baez] out of there and Jason, the same way. Jason, playing center field, there’s a lot of running around out there and he gives you full effort all the time, too. So, those are the two I wanted out of there.”
- Oh, I suppose the other good thing from yesterday was a couple flashes of premium El Mago:
— Bleacher Nation (@BleacherNation) August 23, 2019
- Bonus Javy, as he takes a low and early toss to second base and still manages to coordinate the reception with the toe touch with the throw:
When I say
I want it that way 🎶 pic.twitter.com/ux78yTNJWh
— Chicago Cubs (@Cubs) August 23, 2019
- As for the bad stuff yesterday, well, there was plenty. The bats did nothing for the second straight day, and Jon Lester gave up a boatload in just 4.1 innings. Could we say that he gave up only eight singles (and one homer), many of which were ground balls? That he didn’t exactly give up a ton of hard contact? Yes, yes, we could. And maybe I should. Because I’m not sure he was actually all that terrible yesterday. But he didn’t generate a lot of soft contact, and when you’re allowing so many balls into play, sometimes they’re going to string together for a lot of offense (we’ve seen this before with Lester the last few years). I wouldn’t say yesterday made me any more or less concerned about the rest of Lester’s season, for what it’s worth.
"I think he's gonna be fine. He will find a way to get himself back into the picture in the right way. There's a lot of time left with the playoffs, etc., so I'm counting on it. I believe in Jon."https://t.co/h52RWUUhXG
— Cubs Talk (@NBCSCubs) August 23, 2019
- As you could see from his comments there, Lester feels physically fine, and isn’t too happy that he’s gotten totally blown up in 20% of his starts this year. But if he’s got an answer, he’s not sharing it publicly. Just have to execute pitches better and such and such. I know it all sounds cliche, but I’m not super interested in betting against him yet.
- Obviously I don’t care about the pitcher W/L stat, and a lot of this time was in the other league, but still, this is pretty wild:
This is remarkable, but Jon Lester’s winless streak against the Nats continues. His last win over the Nats was over a decade ago – 6/24/09. He’s done after 4 1/3 today.
— Dan Kolko (@masnKolko) August 23, 2019
- Regarding the Players Weekend uniforms, which wound up looking exactly as disappointing as expected, this sounds right:
I mean, maybe this gets to the concept stage, the illustration stage. But once the prototype hit the field, how did someone not say "No, this won't work like we thought. What else you got?" #Cubs #PlayersWeekend @BleacherNation @realcubsinsider @UniWatch @PhilHecken pic.twitter.com/7k53Bpu2ci
— MBDChicago (@MBDChicago) August 24, 2019
- Air mattresses, patio torches, and more are your Deals of the Day at Amazon.
- This tweet took me on a ride:
We’d like to thank those of you who have reached out to inquire about our duck mascot performer. The duck was tackled during an on-field incident – it was not part of the show. We’re happy to report the performer is receiving medical attention and hope will make a full recovery. pic.twitter.com/bl5pm2iw0T
— Chicago Dogs (@TheChicagoDogs) August 24, 2019
- Look at this hero over here. Thanks, Tigers:
— Dubs (@MikeDubsRadio) August 24, 2019
- Miscellaneous good stuff:
— Chicago Cubs (@Cubs) August 24, 2019
Shop talk. pic.twitter.com/oVgGo5Hiu2
— Chicago Cubs (@Cubs) August 23, 2019