With the World Series kicking off tonight, we’re not going to get any official managerial announcements until, at least, Thursday’s off-day. But that doesn’t mean word won’t leak sooner …
- With Astros bench coach Joe Espada getting a second interview this weekend, it was fair to assume he was one of the favorites, together with David Ross. And Ross wouldn’t need a second interview, given how well the front office already knows him, and given the fact that he, himself, already works in that front office, so there are already conversations.
- But he got a second interview all the same! Well, kinda, informally, as you might expect:
Not as formally announced as Espada, but David Ross is said to have also had a second interview with the #Cubs. Given his position with the team, I'm told they expanded conversations earlier this week. #MLB
— Kelly Crull (@Kelly_Crull) October 22, 2019
- Remember that, before the search and interview process began, Ross was already viewed as the strong favorite for this job if he wanted to commit. Clearly, Ross is committed, so it shouldn’t surprise anyone that he’s right there in the considerations. Indeed, that’s why all the framing around Espada has been a version of “he was impressive, but was he impressive enough?”
- With that in mind, and remembering how all the insider chatter at the outset of this process was that it was going to be Ross in the end, this does not surprise me. But it’s definitely a big nudge-nudge heads up:
Talking Cubs right now on Espn 1000. You’ll want to tune in for the latest on the managerial search!
— Jesse Rogers (@ESPNChiCubs) October 22, 2019
Jesse Rogers on the radio just now, “Do not be surprised if David Ross is announced as early as Thursday”
— IDontCareAboutTheLuxuryTaxCountTommy (@FullCountTommy) October 22, 2019
- Having talking to Espada twice, the Cubs certainly could be in a position to have negotiated a deal (with either one) and make an announcement on Thursday, especially if it’s Ross.
So you’re now on high alert.