We are hiring a full-time Blackhawks writer to add to our Chicago coverage here at BN. Full details and application process here. It’ll be a minute before we actually launch the coverage, but if you want to get a jump on following us on social media, we’d appreciate it: BN Blackhawks on Twitter, BN Blackhawks on Facebook.
• Chicago Cubs reliever Ryan Tepera receiving a down-the-ballot MVP vote was instantly one of the best stories of 2020 … and was almost as instantly RIPPED AWAY from us:
The Hall of Fame writer who accidentally cast a vote for Tepera was as surprised as anyone: “Especially for somebody voting 40 years on this, that would be a stunning development. People would think I’ve lost my marbles.”
So what happened? 👇https://t.co/Y94BhSHloh
— Cubs Talk (@NBCSCubs) November 13, 2020
• Rick Hummel, the St. Louis writer who voted Tepera 10th on his ballot, tells NBC that it was just a tech oopsie, as he meant to select Nationals shortstop Trea Turner in the dropdown selection tool, not Ryan Tepera. AN ABSOLUTE OUTRAGE I SAY. You’re gonna tell me you’re voting for Turner over Tepera, who struck out FAR less often than Turner, who successfully threw SEVERAL innings, and whose average exit velocity off his bat was literally incalculable:
• In all seriousness, Turner had an absurd season, and probably should’ve been higher on Hummel’s ballot anyway. Wait a minute. That would’ve meant that TEPERA would’ve wound up even higher than 10th on the ballot, which means he would’ve finished even higher than 18th in the voting. Dang.
• One voter left Yu Darvish off his five-player Cy Young ballot entirely, which is, of course, an indefensible move. But, to his credit, JP Hoornstra out of LA at least tried to defend it. I read it, and it is about as compelling as you’d expect when one has to contort themselves into profoundly absurd shapes to justify leaving the most valuable pitcher in the NL by WAR off of a five-player ballot. At some point – if I’m being charitable – you’re overthinking it:
I left Yu Darvish off my Cy Young ballot. About that: https://t.co/doapM7h4NL
— J.P. Hoornstra (@jphoornstra) November 12, 2020
• This is the REAL Cy Young Award:
• Meanwhile, Jose Abreu won the AL MVP award last night, and he was overcome with emotion:
It doesn’t get more real than this.
José Abreu is a remarkable person and player. pic.twitter.com/9rw5vMWzy1
— Chicago White Sox (@whitesox) November 12, 2020
• Beautiful stuff. He should also probably share a little bit of that MVP with the Cubs, because, well, yeah. He crushed the Cubs.
• Marvel toys, drinkware, computers and gear, pet cameras, and much more are your Deals of the Day at Amazon. #ad
• Had a little fun on Twitter talking Cubs uniforms:
— Bleacher Nation (@BleacherNation) November 12, 2020
— Above Chicago (@abovethechi) November 12, 2020
• The Cubs are hiring:
Job Alert: Looking for a great S&C coach to join the @Cubs High Performance Team. Must be bilingual (Spanish/English). @ajbeardo @swallen20 @sandcvacancies @KeeganKnoll @NSCA @DrJohnAbbott @CVASPS @RUGBY_STR_COACH
DM me for details.
— Cory Kennedy (@CorykSandC) November 12, 2020