I have given ‘Peacemaker’ a couple episodes, but it really isn’t landing for me. Not particularly funny, but also not particularly engaging as … whatever the tone is supposed to be? The main character doesn’t seem to have a particular lane, the supporting characters are pretty meh, and there hasn’t been much of a narrative hook yet either. Does it get a lot better? I feel like there was a lot of positive attention, but I don’t get it.
• Not sure when it’s going to matter, but it has now been confirmed that there will be a Rule 5 Draft one week after the CBA is finalized (and teams are smartly protecting against “new” information being used against them):
BA has learned that a Rule 5 Draft will occur a week after a new CBA is in place. Until then, some teams are choosing to bar opposing scouts from their backfields. https://t.co/JiUrS0Zqw7
— Josh Norris (@jnorris427) February 26, 2022
Sources: Multiple MLB clubs have notified rival clubs that their complexes are closed to scouts until MLB camp starts or Rule 5 draft occurs/is canceled. Sources expect more teams to follow suit. Execs tell me the motivation is to keep Rule 5 eligible players from being scouted.
— Kiley McDaniel (@kileymcd) February 26, 2022
• Whenever we get closer to it actually happening, I’ll dig back in on the Rule 5, and explore what the delay has meant in terms of prospects the Cubs are at risk for losing, as well as what it has meant for the Cubs’ ability to go after someone. The addition of the universal DH could certainly change the calculus a little bit with respect to what the Cubs typically do in the Rule 5, and there is also that need for an elite defensive shortstop (maybe there’s a sneaky one available? though he’d have to be better than what the Cubs already have in that range in Sergio Alcantara). Overall, I reckon they’ll still mostly focus on a potential reliever.
• An interesting byproduct of the delayed Rule 5 and the scouting limits: teams that wanted to engage in very quick trades once the CBA is finalized will not have the benefit of having very recently scouted the prospects they might be targeting.
• It’s hard to remember at this point, but the MINOR league phase of the Rule 5 Draft already took place, and the Cubs grabbed lefty Conner Menez.
• Not sure where or why this is coming now, and as much as I’d LOVE it to be the case, it does not seem to be a broadly held sentiment (as evidenced by the reply from a player on the MLBPA executive committee):
This is not accurate.
— Zack Britton (@zbritton) February 27, 2022
• If Buster Olney is saying this, then you know the following sentiment is completely pervasive (not that it will matter):
The next big move in baseball's talks must come from owners, who should understand that even if they 'win' these CBA negotiations, the damage they could do to their product could be lasting–through a loss of games, and by further alienating their theoretical partners, players.
— Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) February 27, 2022
• Something nice in the Cubs-connected world today for your ears:
Baseball needs some positivity, so we’re dropping the @DALLASBRADEN209 interview a day early‼️‼️‼️
• Dallas’ ties with current Cubs
• Learning from each affiliate level
• What Dallas refers to as, “his one good day of work” (5/9/2010)https://t.co/HIzmQR6jMN
— Max Bain (@mbain_38) February 27, 2022
• Something else very nice and funny:
Prospect Kevin Alcántara (seen here horsing around during BP this morning) says teammates call Owen Caissie (in pic with Cristian Hernández and Kevin Made), "Rojo," or "Red."
What about James Triantos (third photo)…
"Rojito," Alcántara said with a laugh. That's "Little Red." pic.twitter.com/ccLREvBMPH
— Jordan Bastian (@MLBastian) February 26, 2022
• It’s wild that the Cubs had two of these guys in such a short span of time, relatively speaking:
Two Cubs have seasons with both 200 strikeouts & 30+ saves.
Kerry Wood & Ryan Dempster
— Marquee Sports Network (@WatchMarquee) February 25, 2022
• This guy just keeps going. It’s bananas:
hi yes checking in with an update about Tommy White. yes yes, the true freshman who keeps hitting homers —- that guy. oh, what’s the update? he hit another homer. Tommy White did. he hit his 9th homer. Tommy White did that pic.twitter.com/AwVaF55bSd
— Céspedes Family BBQ (@CespedesBBQ) February 27, 2022