Yankees Third Baseman Miguel Andujar Reportedly Assaulted and Robbed at Gunpoint

Social Navigation


Yankees Third Baseman Miguel Andujar Reportedly Assaulted and Robbed at Gunpoint

Chicago Cubs

A scary story in the baseball world, as Yankees third baseman Miguel Andujar was reportedly assaulted and robbed at gunpoint in the Dominican Republic.

Yankees utility player Miguel Andujar was assaulted and robbed at gunpoint at his farm in San Cristóbal, Dominican Republic, on Wednesday, according to multiple reports.

The 27-year-old Andujar appears to be currently out of danger, according to a report from ESPN Deportes. The report added that he had a $7,000 watch stolen from him and that three bullets were fired. Andujar wasn’t shot, but was beaten, the report said.

A report from Listin Diario said that Andujar was in stable condition. The Listin Diario report added that Andujar’s father’s SUV was also stolen but found abandoned.

It’s good to hear that this didn’t turn out much worse for Andujar, but it’s still really scary, and you wonder how badly he was beaten. Like many players from outside the United States, Andujar had been expected to report to Spring Training on Sunday.

The 27-year-old gets a lot of attention because of his sterling debut (Rookie of the Year runner-up to Shohei Ohtani in 2018), and then his inability to replicate that level of success (or health) in the years that followed. In other words, he’s long been mentioned as a change-of-scenery guy, and if he doesn’t make the Yankees’ bench in Spring Training, the thinking was that he could be traded. So this report, then, is going to get even more attention around the transaction circles.

Primarily, you just hope he and his family are OK, and that it doesn’t impact his ability to come over and start the season as normal.


Latest from Bleacher Nation:


Author: Brett Taylor

Brett Taylor is the Editor and Lead Cubs Writer at Bleacher Nation, and you can find him on Twitter at @BleacherNation and @Brett_A_Taylor.