Quiet mid-day for the most part at the Winter Meetings, which doesn’t surprise me all that much. It’s barely lunchtime out in San Diego, and with all the heat last night, I think a lot of tables are set for activity today. But the deals always seem to come disproportionately in the afternoon and at night.
- Hmmm, was the report out of San Diego mistaken about the Padres being Turner or bust? It would suck if they stay in on Bogaerts:
- Good lord, is this 10 years and $36 million per? 9 years and $40 million per? Either way, it’s an absolutely monster deal coming for Aaron Judge:
- Still waiting on Judge to sign, which could open up a whole lot of other things. Quickly.
- Ken Rosenthal hears that the A’s aren’t just targeting prospects in a Sean Murphy trade, but would prefer big league pieces. No team has separated itself in trade talks, and the A’s are comfortable carrying Murphy into the season if necessary.
- From that Rosenthal piece, something of a future threat (emphasis mine):
Still, for all the Dodgers’ talk of getting younger, it seems unlikely they will open the season with say, Gavin Lux at short, James Outman in center and Miguel Vargas at third, then possibly mix in Michael Busch at second later.
Two agents for other players suspect the Dodgers are in on shortstop Carlos Correa, presuming he would accept a monstrous AAV on a shorter term. But it’s also possible the team could patch with lesser free agents such as third baseman Justin Turner and center fielder Kevin Kiermaier. That way, the Dodgers could save the big money for the player they truly want — the biggest free agent in next year’s class, Shohei Ohtani.
- Willson Contreras’s reps met with Houston yesterday, and have meetings scheduled with another six or seven teams by the end of the Winter Meetings, including the Cardinals, according to NBC.
- Ah, crap, just saw this:
- A handful of signings today. Reliever Tommy Kahnle gets a very healthy deal from the Yankees despite little healthy action the last few years (and after getting into pretty advanced talks with the Red Sox):
- A couple minor signings for the Pirates, including former Giants reliever Jarlin Garcia:
- The A’s are bringing in Jace Peterson: