Spring Training Miscellany: Live Batting Practice Begins, Steele, Hoerner, Madrigal, Swanson, Bellinger, Alcántara, More
We got to see a little live batting practice today at Cubs camp. So let’s start there …
- Justin Steele and Adrian Sampson were among those throwing live batting practice today (complete with pitch timer):
- Cubs pitching prospect Luke Little also got on the mound, and I’m telling you, this pitch from this arm angle from a guy who is 6’8″ tall is simply IMPOSSIBLE for lefties:
- The Cubs’ first base platoon duo getting in some work today:
- I wonder how much first base Trey Mancini will see. It’s likely he’ll be there against most lefties, depending on whether the Cubs prefer – for example – Patrick Wisdom’s defense at first. On days facing lefties, it’s possible Mancini could still mostly DH, with Wisdom at first, and then Christopher Morel or Nick Madrial at third. Of course that, in turn, depends on whether those two can handle third well enough this year, which is TBD in general on Madrigal and TBD on the throwing accuracy for Morel.
- Cody and Dansby taking swings:
- Cubs gonna be throwing a whole lotta sankers this year:
- One of the veteran starters on the staff, and a guy who is so cerebral about pitching, you love to see Stroman talking to all the young pitchers:
- Other bullpen sessions today:
- The Jaguar is coming:
- Of note, because the Cubs had to protect him from the Rule 5 Draft, Kevin Alcántara went on the 40-man roster last fall. And because he is on the 40-man roster, that means he automatically comes to big league camp, even though he played last year at Low-A. So he’s about to get some great experience.
- Just some friendly coworkers:
Spring Training Miscellany: Smyly Solid, Fulmer Locked In, Burdi Impressive, Hughes Not Quite There, Bats Quiet
Oh, No! Edwin Díaz Hurt Himself Celebrating Team Puerto Rico’s WBC Win and Was Taken off in a Wheelchair (UPDATE: Out for the Year)