Spring Training Miscellany: Fulmer Arrives and Throws (But Isn’t Officially Official Yet), Rios Rocks, Live Batting Practice, More
Small bits from around Cubs camp for your early Sunday evening …
- New Cubs reliever Michael Fulmer is throwing with the rest of the relievers now, despite not officially being on the 40-man roster:
- I know he would be throwing right now no matter what (on his own, for example), but I can’t imagine Fulmer’s agent would want to see him risking an injury in a team’s facility unless they were all certain that the deal was ironclad. It would just get really unnecessarily thorny. So, I think we can safely say that everything is squared away, and there’s just a timing element to whatever corresponding move the Cubs want to make.
- I won’t pretend to know for sure what’s going on behind the scenes, but you’d think if it was a super easy 60-day IL decision on Codi Heuer, that would be the way to officially add Fulmer sooner rather than later. Does that mean it isn’t a super easy decision? That Heuer is possibly going to be back before June? Or is there something else going on? Another move on the horizon? Or just logistical with the paperwork or something? It’s been 10 days now since the Fulmer signing was reported, and five days since players could be moved to the 60-day IL, for what it’s worth.
- Drew Smyly threw live BP today, including against new Cub Edwin Rios, who apparently took him way deep:
- Really good socks, in addition to some live BP:
- Kinda looked like Alzolay was getting multiple leg buckles on sliders over the plate.
- I love this:
- Live BP for Hayden Wesneski:
- Seems highly possible we’ll see this guy joining the Cubs bullpen as an up-down type at some point this season:
- Vinny Nittoli is one of the Cubs’ non-roster invite relievers, and he’s had big league success in the past:
- Brad Boxberger sighting:
Wesneski as a Velo Guy, Fulmer as a Closer, Heyward as a Dodger, Beer Bats at Wrigley, and Other Cubs Bullets
Phillies First Baseman Rhys Hoskins Just Went Down on a Non-Contact Injury, Had to Be Carted Off (UPDATE: ACL)
Spring Training Miscellany: Cubs Thump the Diamondbacks, Wesneski Cruises, Thompson, Mastrobuoni, More