Cubs vs. Padres: Cubs Lineup, Pitching Matchup, How to Watch, More
Justin Steele is back on the mound tonight! Woo! As you’ll recall, he was scratched from his first scheduled start of the season with general arm fatigue, but has since thrown a bullpen and is feeling ready to go. Big season ahead for him. He’s probably one of the Cubs most important players this year.
Chicago Cubs Lineup:
- Nick Madrigal, 2B
- Dansby Swanson, SS
- Trey Mancini, RF
- Yan Gomes, C
- Edwin Rios, 3B
- Matt Mervis, 1B
- Chris Morel, CF
- David Bote, DH
- Brennen Davis, LF
SP: Justin Steele, LHP
Well this is a must-watch Spring lineup for the Cubs. Not only is Steele taking the mound, but the lineup is loaded with players answering big questions:
- How well will Trey Mancini handle right field, and is he the primary right fielder in the absence of Seiya Suzuki?
- Will Nick Madrigal mesh well with Dansby Swanson when he does fill in for Nico Hoerner at second base?
- Will David Bote’s bat continue to play this spring? And if so, does that really tell us anything about his expected performance this season?
- Is Chris Morel still a legitimate option in center field?
- Is Edwin Rios going to win the third base job?
- Can Brennen Davis and/or Matt Mervis do enough this spring to justify breaking camp with the big league Cubs, especially in the absense of Suzuki?
Dansby Swanson and Yan Gomes are really the only two guys with absolutely nothing to prove/answer. And I’m perfectly happy to watch them get in their work. So like I said, it’s a must-watch! And, hey, with a win, the Cubs can even get back to .500 on the spring!
Padres vs. Cubs Game Info
Chicago Cubs (3-4) at San Diego Padres (4-3) – Friday, March 3 at 7:40 CT on Marquee Network
Padres vs. Cubs Pitching Matchup
Padres: Julio Teheran, RHP
Cubs: Justin Steele, LHP