Spring Training Miscellany: Cubs Streak Finally Ends
It’s over. The nine-game winning streak is over. The Cubs needed three in the bottom of the 9th to come back, and they got the tying run within 90 feet … but no dice. Cubs lose.
GOOD THING IT’S ONLY SPRING TRAINING AND NO ONE CARES. YOU CAN’T HURT ME, SOX.
- Drew Smyly threw four relatively clean, scoreless innings today, which is perfectly fine. I won’t put a ton of stock into it, just as I wouldn’t if he’d gotten hit around a ton, but I’m sure it always feels good to have a clean day as you’re ramping up.
- Smyly did have a small bit of trouble in the first, but his defense helped him out. David Ross must’ve LOVED this play (he really loves relays):
- Dom Nuñez and Christopher Morel combined to catch Billy Hamilton stealing, which should count as two outs.
- David Bote, who had another hit today, really wants to make this team:
- Ultimately I don’t think the numbers work out in his favor out of camp, and there’s a chance he’s traded before then, but even if he heads to Iowa to open the season, we’ll probably see David Bote in the big leagues again at some point this season. Cubs or otherwise.
- Caleb Kilian got in a couple innings of work, and I’m not sure he looked as sharp this time out. The only really hard contact he gave up, though, came against a couple sliders where it SEEMED like he was really working to get them over the plate. That’s what Spring Training is for, and we know that hasn’t necessarily been a great pitch for him. Maybe there was an intentionality behind working on it today?
- Also, the Bears just traded the first overall pick for a HAUL, so my mind is racing right now and I’ll admit to being a little distracted.
But What About a Happ Extension, Suzuki Defense, Busy Day, Rucker, Replay Timing, and Other Cubs Bullets
FOLKS! The Cubs Are in “Advanced Discussions” on a Nico Hoerner Extension!!! (UPDATE: It’s Happening!)