Spring Training Miscellany: Suzuki Takes Live BP, Morel, Gomes, Wisdom, Cubs Lose, More
We lost power today and my cell service also went to crap, so I couldn’t really follow the game or do a prompt writeup thereafter. Apologies, therefore, on the delay and the limited coverage …
- Up top I want to share Seiya Suzuki taking legit batting practice and socking dingers. Clearly, he’s feeling good:
- It’s really, really wild to think about Suzuki missing only the first week of the season. I can’t even let myself imagine it yet.
- Suzuki, himself, said he was very happy to back on the field taking swings:
- The Cubs lost 8-7 to the Angels, with most of the Angels’ runs coming late against young relievers. Hooray for Spring Training.
- Yan Gomes now has a whopping four homers this spring, which is wild:
- Patrick Wisdom has also RAKED this spring:
- And Christopher Morel has been mighty hot:
- It’s still TBD whether Morel will make the Opening Day roster as a utility man, or if the Cubs want him starting every day at Iowa to bolster his development. I can see the merits in each approach, and I think it’s probably going to be a very tough decision. That said, if the Cubs don’t have to carry Mike Tauchman (because Seiya Suzuki might not be out for long), you could argue it makes all the more sense to have Morel on the roster, because he can be your primary back-up outfielder at that point.
- Really fun play right here:
NL Central Trade Rumors: Burnes Deal Coming? Five Teams Selling? Wut? Cardinals OFs, Bednar, India, More