100+ Best Fantasy Football Team Names: Hilarious, Creative, and Surprisingly Epic!
It might seem overwhelming to decide on the perfect moniker for your squad. Fear not! Whether you’re looking for witty puns or pop culture references incorporating NFL player names, we’ve got you covered.
Veteran Fantasy Football Expert Justin Edwards looks at the best fantasy football team names –, explains why it matters, and sheds light on the do’s and don’ts to help you name your team heading into the 2023 season.
How To Choose A Fantasy Football Team Name
Choosing a fantasy football team name is essential because it sets the tone for your season and can influence how others view your team. Consider what makes a great team name and explore different options to make the best choice.
Why It Matters
A great team name in fantasy football is crucial because it represents your identity in the competition.
A unique and memorable name can spark conversations, ignite rivalries, and add fun to the exciting game.
What Makes A Great Fantasy Football Team Name?
A great fantasy football team name combines creativity, wit, and relevance. Striking the perfect balance between these elements can elevate your team’s identity in the eyes of your fellow league members and inject some fun into the competition.
One crucial aspect of an excellent team name is wordplay or puns that involve famous players, NFL teams, or football-related terms.
Another factor contributing to a top-notch fantasy football team name is tapping into pop culture references from TV shows, movies, or even memes while maintaining a connection with football.
An example would be “Game of Jones” as a nod to the popular series Game of Thrones and NFL player Julio Jones. Ultimately, finding a unique angle that resonates with other league participants while staying true to your style and humor – all without crossing any lines into the inappropriate territory is vital.
Different Types Of Fantasy Football Team Names
From classic options that never get old to creative terms with clever puns and wordplay to incorporating real NFL players, or referencing popular TV shows and movies – there’s something for everyone! Keep reading to discover the best team name for your squad.
Classic Fantasy Football Team Names
- Show Me Your TDs
- Victorious Secret
- The Abusement Park
- Discount Belichick
- The Brady Bunch
- Fourth and Drunk
- Game of Throws
- Da Bear Necessities
These names have been popular choices among NFL fans for years due to their clever wordplay, humor, and references to popular culture or players within the league. As you prepare your fantasy football lineup for the 2023 season, consider choosing one of these classic team names to keep your company entertained and engaged throughout the season!
Off-the-wall Football Names That Will Stand Out
Consider going off the wall if you want to make a statement with your fantasy football team name. Here are some unique options that will help your squad stand out:
- Gridiron Gurus
- Endzone Enthusiasts
- Pigskin Pirates
- Helmet Heroes
- Cleat Crushers
- Huddle Hooligans
- Blitz Brigade
- Tackle Titans
- Snap Squad
- Punt Panthers
- Pass Prodigies
- Goal – Line Gangsters
- Field – Goal Fanatics
- Touchdown Tyrants
- Fumble Force
- Interception Insanity
- Pocket Protectors
- QB Crushers
- Catch Cougars
- Run Rampage
Creativity and originality are the key to a great team name, so don’t be afraid to think outside the box!
Funny Fantasy Football Names
Humor is always a good idea when choosing a fantasy football team name.
Here are some examples of funny fantasy football team names that will surely make you laugh:
- “Dalvin and the Chipmunks”
- “The Gurley Gates”
- “Dez Dispensers”
- “T.Y. Very Much”
- “My Ball Zach Ertz”
- “Wentz Upon a Time in Hollywood”
- “Lamarvel Comics”
- “Kittle Monsters Inc.”
- “The Mahomes Depot”
- “It’s Always Sony in Philadelphia”
As you can see, these team names incorporate puns and wordplay using player names, pop culture references, and clever twists on common phrases.
But remember to keep it appropriate and avoid any potentially offensive names!
Incorporating Real NFL Players
When naming your fantasy football team, one popular trend is incorporating real NFL players into the team name. This can be done in various ways, from using a player’s last name as part of a play-on-words to referencing their jersey number or position on the field.
Another way to incorporate real NFL players is by utilizing the current roster of your favorite team. If you’re a die-hard Minnesota Vikings fan, consider creating a team name highlighting some of their top players, like “Justin Jefferson Airplane.”
Creative Names With Clever Puns And Wordplay
You’re in luck if you’re looking for a clever and pun-filled fantasy team name! Here are some great ideas:
- Goff Balls: This team name is a play on the last name of Detroit Tigers quarterback Jared Goff.
- Kittle Giants: This team name combines San Francisco 49ers tight end George Kittle with New York Giants, making for a punny team name.
- Bell Cows: A clever nod to running backs referred to as “bell cows” in the NFL due to their importance to their respective offenses.
- Chubb-a-Dub-Dub: A fun way to incorporate Cleveland Browns running back Nick Chubb’s last name into your team name.
- Murray Up and Wait: A witty reference to Arizona Cardinals quarterback Kyler Murray’s speed on the field.
- Hopkins Scotch: Combine Arizona Cardinals wide receiver DeAndre Hopkins’ last name with the popular alcoholic beverage for a clever team name.
There are countless possibilities for creating a fantasy football team name that incorporates puns and wordplay, so have fun getting creative!
Fantasy Names Referencing Popular TV Shows And Movies
If you’re a pop culture junkie, why not incorporate your favorite TV shows and movies into your fantasy football team name?
Here are some creative options to consider:
- The Night King’s Squad
- Rick and Morty’s Roster
- The Walking Deadlines
- Stranger Things in the Endzone
- Mad Max’s Marauders
- X-Men Xperts
- Game of Throws
- The Harry Potter Blitzes
- Guardians of the Goal Line
- Avengers Assemble for Touchdowns
These names are fun and catchy and showcase your love for pop culture. Check with your league for rules against using copyrighted material in team names.
NFL Player-Specific Names
I always incorporate my favorite NFL players’ names into my team name.
Here are some creative NFL player-specific names that you can use for your fantasy football team:
- Chubby Chasers (Nick Chubb)
- Can’t Believe It’s Not Cutler (Jay Cutler)
- Rudolph The Red Zone Reindeer (Kyle Rudolph)
- Murray Up And Wait (Kyler Murray)
- Brady Gaga (Tom Brady)
- Henry Houdini (Derrick Henry)
- All Barkley, No Bite (Saquon Barkley)
- Mayfield of Dreams (Baker Mayfield)
- DJ Moore Money, DJ More Problems (DJ Moore)
These names show your love for your favorite players and make your fantasy team stand out.
The best team names sometimes come from inside jokes or specific references to the league. Here are some ideas for fantasy-specific team names that will have your fellow league members laughing:
- The Commissioner’s Nightmare Squad
- The Waiver Wire Warriors
- The Trade Masterminds
- The Draft Day Dynamos
- The Injury Reserve All-Stars
- The Fantasy Football Fanatics
- The Points-Per-Reception Predators
- The Touchdown Titans
- The Monday Night Miracle Makers
- The Championship Chasers
These names show off your love for fantasy football and demonstrate your creativity in coming up with original and clever team names!
Humorous Team Names
I love coming up with funny fantasy football team names because they never fail to get a laugh out of my league members. Here are some ideas I’ve come up with and found online:
- The Backstreet Boys
- Zeke and Destroy
- Breesus Christ Superstar
- My Ball, Zach Ertz
- Will You Mariota Me?
- Kamara Shy?
- Goff Balls to the Wall
- Hyde and Zeke
- Belichick Yourself Before You Wreck Yourself
The possibilities for funny team names are endless, from player puns to pop culture references. And remember, as long as they’re not offensive or inappropriate, making your league members laugh can be just as important as winning the championship.
The Dos And Don’ts Of Choosing A Fantasy Football Team Name
Do seek inspiration from your favorite NFL team and be creative with wordplay, but don’t choose an offensive or overused name; consider your league’s personality and style.
Do: Seek Inspiration From Your Favorite NFL Team
Seeking inspiration from your favorite NFL team can be a great way to create a unique and meaningful fantasy team name. Whether it’s the city, mascot, or even specific players, incorporating elements of your favorite team into your team name can make it more personal and memorable.
For example, if you’re a Pittsburgh Steelers fan, you could call your fantasy team “Steel City Stompers” or “Black and Gold Brigade.” On the other hand, using generic names like “The Warriors” or “The Titans” won’t help set you apart from other teams in your league.
Don’t: Use An Offensive Or Inappropriate Team Name
As a responsible fantasy football player, it’s essential to remember that using an offensive or inappropriate team name is never acceptable.
Instead, opt for clever puns or wordplay that don’t cross the line into being crude or discriminatory. Remember that while humor is excellent, there are always lines that shouldn’t be crossed.
Do: Be Creative And Use Wordplay
One of the most effective ways to choose a fantasy football team name is by being creative and using wordplay. Playing on words can help set your squad apart from others in the league, making it more memorable and easier to remember for seasons to come.
For instance, you could change the name of a famous athlete or team into something clever and humorous, such as “Mahomes Alone” or “Cleveland Steamers.”
Don’t: Choose A Name That Is Too Generic Or Overused
Choosing a fantasy football team name that is too generic or overused can be tempting, especially when you’re struggling to develop something creative. But opting for a common name like “The Warriors” or “The Titans” won’t set your team apart from the hundreds of other groups with the same name.
It’s important to remember that your team name represents not only yourself but also your league and fellow players.
Do: Consider Your League’s Style And Personality
When choosing a fantasy football team name, it’s essential to consider the style and personality of your league. Is your company full of competitive players who take the game seriously, or is it more casual with a focus on having fun? This can affect the type of name that would fit best.
If you are in a competitive league, you may want to choose a more serious-sounding name that reflects your dedication to winning. For example, “The Dynasty Builders” highlights your long-term strategy for building an unbeatable team.
On the other hand, if your league is more laid-back and focused on humor and fun, consider picking a funny or off-the-wall team name like “The Dancing Donuts.”
How To Use Player Names In Your Fantasy Football Team Name
Incorporating player names in your fantasy team name can add a personal touch and show off your favorite roster picks, but it also comes with risks.
Incorporating Your Favorite Team’s Roster
If you’re a die-hard fan of a particular NFL team, why not incorporate their roster into your fantasy football team name?
Here are some ways to do it:
- Alliteration: Use the first letter of each player’s name to create a catchy team name. For example, if you’re a fan of the Pittsburgh Steelers, your team name could be “Big Ben’s Brawlers.”
- Puns: Get creative with puns that match your favorite players’ names. For instance, if you’re rooting for the New York Giants, you could choose “Saquon and Roll.”
- Nicknames: If your favorite players have fun handles, use them to spice up your team name. For example, if you’re cheering on the Kansas City Chiefs, consider “Mahomes Alone” or “Tyreek or Treat.”
- Team-specific themes: Take inspiration from your favorite NFL team’s culture and traditions to craft a unique team name. For instance, Seattle Seahawks fans might choose “12th Maniacs” as their fantasy football team name.
- Classic references: Pay homage to legendary players from your favorite NFL team by incorporating their names or numbers into your fantasy football team name. This can be especially meaningful if those players have since retired – for example, Dallas Cowboys fans might opt for “88’s Finest” as an ode to Michael Irvin.
Remember, while having fun with your fantasy football team name and showing off your fandom is essential, ensure it is appropriate and respectful toward other players in your league.
Clever Ways To Incorporate Famous Players’ Names
As a fantasy football team manager, using your favorite players’ names in your team name adds an extra layer of fan excitement.
Here are some clever ways to incorporate famous players’ names into your fantasy team name:
- Use a pun: A pun is a witty play on words that creates humor and can be incorporated into a player’s name. For example, instead of DeAndre Hopkins, try “Hop, Skip and a Touchdown,” or for Christian McCaffrey, how about “McCaffrey In The Wind.”
- Combine last names: If you have two favorite players with similar last names, why not combine them? For instance, Aaron Rodgers and Davante Adams could become “Rodger That! Adams.”
- Create rhymes: Using rhyming words with player names can create catchy phrases. For example, Leonard Fournette can become “Leonard Four-netting Yards” or Melvin Gordon as “Melvin Scoring.”
- Use movie references: You can also take inspiration from famous movies while creating your fantasy football team name. For instance, if your favorite player’s last name is Watson, you could go for “Deshaun of the Dead,” which references the classic horror-comedy film Shaun of the Dead.
- Incorporate pop culture: Popular culture provides endless possibilities to create unique and exciting fantasy football team names. Instead of Tom Brady, try going for “Brady Bunch Of Points.”
The Risk Of Using A Player’s Name In A Team Name
While using a player’s name in a fantasy football team name can be creative and add some humor to the squad, it comes with potential risks. One primary concern is that players may get traded or released from their team after the fantasy leagues have already begun, making the team name irrelevant or confusing.
Another risk is that if a player gets injured or performs poorly during the season, having their name associated with your team could ultimately bring negative attention to your squad.
You should probably consider these factors when incorporating player names into your football team names.
When is the best time to create a fantasy football team name?
It’s never too early to start picking a name for your fantasy football team. Some creative minds may even develop their team name months before the season.
Can I choose an offensive or inappropriate name for my fantasy football team?
While choosing an off-the-wall or inappropriate name for your team may be tempting, it’s important to remember that fantasy football leagues should be fun and inclusive for everyone involved. It’s best to stick with a creative and non-offensive name.
What are some classic and timeless fantasy football team names?
Many fantasy football team names have stood the test of time, such as “The Brady Bunch” or “The Beasts of the East.” These names reference famous NFL players or major team conferences.
What are some of the best fantasy football team names to date?
There have been countless funny and creative fantasy football team names, including “I Dream of Dede” and “Gurley Things Come to Those Who Wait.”
Is having a funny team name for my fantasy football league important?
While having a funny team name is unnecessary, it can add a fun and lighthearted element to your league. It’s always a good idea to keep the mood light and entertaining!
How do I choose a name for my fantasy football team if I’m a rookie?
If you’re new to fantasy football, creating a name for your team can be overwhelming. Start by thinking about your favorite NFL players or groups and try to incorporate those names into a creative team name.
Can I incorporate NFL players into my fantasy team name?
Absolutely! Many fantasy football team names include references to popular or up-and-coming NFL players.
Should I consult with others in my league before choosing a team name?
While running your team name by others in your league is unnecessary, it can be fun to bounce ideas off each other and get suggestions for your team name.
How do I make my fantasy football team name stand out?
Get creative and think outside the box! Incorporate puns, references to movies or TV shows, or even use a play on words. The possibilities are endless!
Conclusion and Final Thoughts
In conclusion, choosing the right fantasy football team name can make all the difference in your league. While having the best rankings at your disposal is most important, a great name is a close second.
With so many options, it’s essential to consider what makes a great team name – whether you prefer classic or off-the-wall characters, player-specific puns, or references to popular TV shows and movies.
When selecting a name, follow the dos and don’ts of naming etiquette – avoid offensive or inappropriate choices and instead opt for creative wordplay that reflects your league’s style and personality.