Good morning! Yesterday’s games didn’t quite live up to the thrilling Wild Card weekend we were treated to, but today’s games will be awesome. But first, let’s talk about Patrick Mahomes and his ankle injury.
- Ian Rapoport reported this morning that Mahomes suffered a high ankle sprain on Saturday. Mahomes’ x-rays came back negative, but an MRI is scheduled for Monday. Mahomes told reporters after the game that he will be good to go for the Chiefs AFC title game next week, but what else would you expect him to say?
- Mahomes didn’t want to come out of yesterday’s game, even though he could barely place any weight on his ankle.
“I’m not coming out of a playoff game unless they take me out,” said Mahomes, who played the entire second half with a sprained right ankle. “I love this sport too much. I’m glad that I was able to get back in the game. I just love competing in this sport.”
- But Mahomes was impacted by the ankle sprain. After completing 11 of his first 12 pass attempts for 77 yards and a touchdown before the injury. Mahomes said the ankle felt better than he thought it would after last night’s game, but adrenaline is a factor.
- While Mahomes’ ankle injury was the biggest takeaway from the game for the Chiefs, the battle between Patrick Mahomes and Trevor Lawrence was the highlight for me. This won’t be the last time we see these two square off in the AFC playoffs.
- The nightcap last night was a snooze fest unless you’re an Eagles fan. Rust? Hurts’ health? Pshh. Hurts and the Eagles answered those questions early and often in a beat-down of their NFC East rival Giants, punching their ticket to the NFC Championship game next week.
- On the coaching news front, Giants’ offensive coordinator will have a trio of virtual interviews today, per Adam Schefter. Kafka is expected to meet with the Panthers, Colts, and Texans less than 24 hours after the Eagles ousted the Giants.
- Giants defensive coordinator Wink Martindale will also interview for the Colts’ head coaching position.
- Ian Rapoport said this morning that he’s hearing that Damar Hamlin is supposed to attend today’s Bengals-Bills game at Highmark Stadium.
- Speaking of Bengals-Bills, check out our preview if you haven’t. I discussed paths to victory for both sides and threw my prediction for today’s game in there.
- Jonathan Toews is a fan of Luke Richardson, but will it make a difference regarding his long-term future in Chicago?