New and Important Dates to Remember for the 2023 NFL Offseason
The NFL released a schedule of important dates for the 2023 league year (and between now and then) this afternoon.
You can bookmark this tweet here for quick reference, and you can see the complete list of dates and related reading material in the post below.
- February 28-March 6: Beginning next Tuesday, the NFL Scouting Combine will occur at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis, Indiana. The brightest collegiate stars will attend to record measurables and meet with teams as they prepare for the NFL Draft in April.
- March 7: 4:00 pm (et) is the deadline to place a franchise tag on eligible players. You can learn more about the franchise tag and read about likely candidates here:
- March 13-15: The “legal tampering period” begins ahead of the start of the 2023 league year and free agency. Teams are permitted to contact, and enter into contract negotiations with, the certified agents of players who will become unrestricted free agents.
- March 15: The 2023 league year and free agency period begin at 4:00 p.m. (et). NFL teams can also start trading once again.
- March 26-29: The annual league meeting occurs in Phoenix, Arizona.
- April 3: Teams that hired a new head coach after the end of the 2022 regular season may begin offseason workout programs. This applies to the Broncos, Cardinals, Colts, Panthers, and Texans.
- April 17: Teams with returning head coaches may begin offseason workout programs.
- April 21: Deadline for restricted free agents to sign offer sheets.
- April 26: Deadline for prior club to exercise Right of First Refusal to restricted free agents. Deadline for clubs to time, test, visit interview (including video and phone calls), or conduct a physical examination with a draft-eligible player at any location.
- April 27-29: The 2023 NFL Draft occurs in Kansas City, Missouri.
- May 2: Deadline for teams to exercise the fifth-year option for players selected in the first round of the 2020 Draft.
- May 5-8 or May 12-15: Teams may elect to hold their one three-day post-draft rookie minicamp from Friday through Sunday. Or Saturday through Monday on one of the two weekends following the Draft.
- May 15: Rookie Football Development Programs begins.
- May 18-21: NFLPA Rookie Premiere occurs in Los Angeles, California.
- May 22-24: Spring League Meeting occurs in Minneapolis, Minnesota.
- June 1: Deadline for prior club to send “June 1 Tender” to its unsigned restricted free agents who received a qualifying offer for a right of first refusal only in order for such player to be subject to the CBA’s “June 15 Tender” provision.
- June 15: Deadline for club to withdraw higher qualifying offer to restricted free agents and still retain exclusive negotiating rights by substituting lower “June 15 Tender” of one-year contract at 110 percent of the player’s prior-year Paragraph 5 Salary (with all other terms of his prior-year contract carried forward unchanged).
- Late June (Date TBA): Rookie Readiness Program to be held by all 32 teams.
Happy Free Agency Day! Browns Restructure Deshaun Watson, Contract Restructures, and Other NFL Bullets