Jaguars Extend Robertson-Harris, Play the Restructure Game, Broncos Name Lombardi OC, and Other NFL Bullets
Apologies for the late, not-so-morning bullets today. My daughter wanted to squeeze out the last few hours at the indoor water park this morning before an hour-and-a-half drive home. So let’s start with the Jacksonville Jaguars, who did some work on Saturday, freeing up some cap space and then extending Roy Robertson-Harris.
- Jacksonville restructured the contract of linebacker Foye Oluokun, creating $10.33 million in cap space, per Ian Rapoport. The Jaguars signed Oluokun to a four-year deal worth $45 million with an opportunity to earn another $1.5 million in Pro Bowl incentives. Oluokun led the league in tackles and solo tackles last season with 184 and 128, respectively. Oluokun also accounted for two forced fumbles, five pass breakups, and 12 tackles for loss, along with two sacks.
- The Jaguars then went to work, extending a trio of players. First, Roy Robertson-Harris received a new deal worth $30 million over three years, according to NFL Media’s Mike Garafolo.
- Robertson-Harris originally signed with the Jaguars in 2021 and has appeared in 31 games for Jacksonville. RRH set career-highs in total tackles (45), tackles for loss (seven) quarterback hits (12) and passes defended (four) in 2022. In the Jaguars two postseason contests, Robertson-Harris had 14 total tackles, 1.0 sack, five tackles for loss and two passes defended.
- RRH spent the first four seasons with Chicago and has played 83 games in his seven-year career. He has 156 total tackles, including 13.5 sacks and 20 tackles for loss.
- The Jaguars also extended running back JaMycal Hasty this weekend.
- Hasty played in all 17 regular season games and both postseason games for the Jaguars in 2022 after being claimed off of waivers last August. In his first season with Jacksonville, he recorded career highs in scrimmage yards (320), rushing yards (194), carries (46) and rushing TDs (2).
- Jacksonville also extended backup quarterback C.J. Beathard on Saturday.
- Beathard has played in six games for Jacksonville over the last two seasons. He’s played in 25 career games in the NFL with 12 starts and completed 300-of-500 passes for 3,537 yards and 18 TDs. Beathard was drafted by the 49ers, where he played from 2017-20.
- Clearing cap space and extending in-house options on the defensive line, at running back, and your backup quarterback in a solid weekend.
- Oluokun was set to make $14 million in base salary this year while counting $19,166,666 against the cap, according to OTC. His salary for the 2023 season was fully guaranteed. Oluokun’s restructure puts the Jaguars $12,417,686 over the cap. Jacksonville has plenty of work to do still. They must also account for Calvin Ridley’s $11,116,000 cap hit whenever he is officially reinstated.
- Not to be lost in the Jacksonville news, the Packers also played the restructure game on Saturday. Green Bay restructured the contracts of stars Jaire Alexander and Preston Smith, creating $9.456M and $6.668M in cap space. Green Bay now has $6.4 million in cap space according to OTC.
- On Saturday, the Denver Broncos announced that Joe Lombardi would be their offensive coordinator. So Sean Payton’s coaching staff is complete and includes Lombardi as OC, Vance Joseph as DC, and Ben Kotwica as STC.
- The 49ers have extended long snapper Taybor Pepper:
- It was an all-Cardinals edition of the Extra Points column on Saturday. Topic discussed included the asking price for Sean Payton, DeAndre Hopkins trade considerations, and Jonathan Gannon’s thoughts on Kyler Murray:
- So, it’s Eli’s birthday today! First, head over to BN Bulls on Twitter and wish the Matador of BN Bulls a happy birthday. Then, hang out with Matt this afternoon as he pinch-hits for the birthday boy.
- I do not like this. Nope, not one bit. As if it isn’t bad enough that Patrick Kane appears to be heading for New York. But the process has been painstakingly long. We don’t deserve it!
Broncos Not Trading Jerry Jeudy or Courtland Sutton, Owners Meetings, Salary Cap Updates, and Other NFL Bullets