Happy Free Agency Day! Browns Restructure Deshaun Watson, Contract Restructures, and Other NFL Bullets
Happy NFL free agency! Today and the next few days will be the biggest days of the year of the Ian Rapoport and Adam Schefter’s of the world. And for football fans, it’s like waking up on Christmas morning and seeing a tree full of presents underneath.
- So, let’s get right into some stuff this morning. The Cleveland Browns are making some space by restructuring Deshaun Watson’s contract. The Browns have created nearly $36 million in cap space by doing so.
- In other restructure news, Tampa Bay Buccaneers wide receiver Russell Gage has reworked his contract. Gage’s base salary goes from $10 million to $7 million this season but is now fully guaranteed. According to Ian Rapoport, there are also incentives for Gage to hit and earn more.
- Elsewhere in the NFC South, linebacker Shaq Thompson will stick with the Panthers on a reworked deal. Thompson was due for a cap hit of more than $24.46 million this season.
- Eagles cornerback James Bradberry is set to become a free agent this week. Still, Bradberry feels that there is a chance that the Eagles will match any offer he receives on the open market.
- If you missed it yesterday because you were laying in bed all day and off of the internet like I wish that I would have been, the Rams and Dolphins agreed on a trade that will send Jalen Ramsey to Miami.
- The Rams have agreed to trade All-Pro cornerback Jalen Ramsey to the Dolphins. In exchange, the Rams will receive a third-round draft pick and tight end, Hunter Long. Ramsey and the Dolphins have also agreed to a modified contract. Ramsey had three years left on his current deal and was set to come with a $25.2 million cap hit in 2023, $26.7 million in 2024, and $22.7 million in 2025. Instead, Ramsey will make $36.9 million fully guaranteed over the next two seasons with the Dolphins and become a free agent after the 2024 season.
- No surprise here. I predicted before the blockbuster on Friday that the Panthers were going to trade up to No. 1 and eventually draft CJ Stroud. I don’t know why, but I’ve just always had a feeling that Carolina is in love with Stroud.
- His performance at the combine undoubtedly helped solidify their feelings if indeed that ends up being the case. So, it’s no surprise that he’s now the betting favorite to be taken No. 1 in next month’s draft.
- Running back Nyhiem Hines will be sticking around in Buffalo. Hines will rework his contract and convert a chunk of his base salary into bonus money to lower his cap hit for the Bills in 2023.
- In very unexciting but necessary news, Eason Stick will stay in Los Angeles to be the Chargers backup QB in 2023:
- Baker Mayfield to the Buccaneers? According to Ian Rapoport, Mayfield is at the top of the Bucs’ list. Mayfield could be a low-cost option to come in and compete with Kyle Trask for the starting job in Tampa Bay in 2023.
- Alright, I will wrap this up early today because I have to prep for the days business. Stick around for all the action!
- Daron Payne is getting PAID!
Broncos Not Trading Jerry Jeudy or Courtland Sutton, Owners Meetings, Salary Cap Updates, and Other NFL Bullets