Eagles to Release Darius Slay, Late-Night Moves, and Other NFL Bullets
You know that thing where you fall asleep too early and then wake up, and you’re up too late, and the following day is just blah? Yeah, that’s me today. I love my wife and kids for knowing I was exhausted as I passed out on the couch mid-sentence while watching my daughter play PlayStation, but I wish they would have woken me up. Anyways, plenty of news already this morning, including the Eagles’ plans to release cornerback Darius Slay.
- After failing to come to terms on a re-worked deal, the Eagles are expected to release Slay this afternoon, according to Adam Schefter:
- Slay was entering the final year of his deal with the Eagles. Slay was set to make a base salary of $17 million this season with a cap hit of $26.1 million. The Eagles and Slay attempted to work out a new deal to lower the cap hit but didn’t reach an agreement. So, Slay will become a free agent this afternoon.
- The Raiders jump out at me as a team that could be interested in Slay’s services. Wide receiver AJ Brown wasn’t thrilled with the news, apparent by his tweet this morning:
- The Eagles have seen quite a few big names depart this week. DT Javon Hargrave, LB Kyzir White, S Marcus Epps, and LB T.J. Edwards have already signed with new teams. In addition, Slay, S C.J. Gardner-Johnson, and DT Fletcher Cox are also looking for new homes.
- If you missed it this morning, the Carolina Panthers inked former Bengals tight end Hayden Hurst to a three-year deal. There are reports that the Cowboys plan to move on from running back Ezekiel Elliott. If you want to read more about them, we have those two posts up already.
- Let’s get caught up on some late-night NFL transactions.
- The Tennessee Titans have agreed to terms with DL Arden Key, per Mike Garafolo. Key and the Titans have agreed on a three-year, $21 million deal with a max value of $24 million. The deal includes $13 million guaranteed at signing. Key logged 4.5 sacks with the Jaguars last season.
- The Indianapolis Colts have agreed with former 49ers DE Samson Ebukam, per Adam Schefter. The deal is a three-year deal worth $27 million. In addition, Ebukam will receive over $11 million in 2023.
- The Dallas Cowboys have re-signed linebacker Leighton Vander Esch, per Ian Rapoport. Vander Esch and the Cowboys have agreed on a two-year deal worth $11 million. Dallas ensures they retain one of the best players on their defensive unit here.
- Now some things that you might have missed on Tuesday.
- The Colts made a trade on Tuesday, sending cornerback Stephon Gilmore to the Dallas Cowboys. The Cowboys sent the Colts a fifth-round draft pick in exchange.
- So, the Colts move Gimore off of the books. They also released QB Matt Ryan, which will save them roughly $17 million against the cap.
- The Las Vegas Raiders continue to confuse. After adding Jimmy Garoppolo and Jakobi Meyers to open free agency, Vegas decided to trade tight end Darren Waller to the Giants on Tuesday. The trade netted Vegas a third-round pick in next month’s draft.
- So, the Giants get a tight end two years removed from an incredible 107-catch, 1,196 yards season for the Raiders in 2020. However, the Raiders get some much-needed cap relief and a draft pick.
- I’ll miss David Montgomery, who signed with the Lions on Tuesday evening. So long, old friend:
- The Bears have signed former Seahawks running back and special teamer Travis Homer.