Bobby Wagner is Heading Back to the Seahawks (and Other NFL Bullets)
From the start, a reunion between Bobby Wagner and the Seattle Seahawks felt like a fit for both sides. Finally, after two weeks of exploration elsewhere by both sides, that reunion is happening. This, according to known NFL news breaker … Quandre Diggs?
- Instead of the normal faces breaking the Bobby Wagner-to-Seattle news, Seahawks safety Quandre Diggs got the scoop and broke the news on Twitter last night.
- Adam Schefter added the financials to Diggs’ report shortly, confirming that Wagner was heading back to Seattle on a one-year contract worth $7 million. The Seahawks got a hometown discount on Wagner’s services, which they needed. As of Saturday afternoon, Seattle had just $8.9 million in total cap space and just south of $800,000 in effective cap space after accounting for the money needed to acquire draft picks, according to Over the Cap.
- Bobby Wagner signed a five-year, $50 million contract with the Los Angeles Rams last April. Wagner’s deal with the Rams included $20 million in guaranteed money, $10 million of which was guaranteed at signing. Wagner’s 2023 cap hit with the Rams was $12.5 million. Instead of restructuring, the cap-needy Rams decided to part ways with Wagner. So, Wagner is taking a significant pay cut this season to reunite with the Seahawks.
- The veteran linebacker recorded 140 tackles (81 solos) and six sacks for the Rams in 2022. Wagner’s six sacks were a career-high. He also recorded 10 tackles for loss and two interceptions. His 90.7 defensive rating at PFF was the third-highest of his career. Wagner also posted a 91.1 run defense rating (the second-highest of his career) and a 91.0 tackle rating (the second-highest of his career).
- Another veteran defensive player is still searching for a new home, though. Calais Campbell is set to meet the Jets and Bills in the coming weeks. The 36-year-old defensive lineman was cut by the Ravens but still wants to play in 2023. Campbell also reportedly visited with the Falcons recently, which went “really well.”
- Campbell logged 36 tackles, 5.5 sacks, and two forced fumbles in 14 games with the Ravens last season. Campbell was a second-round Cardinals pick in 2008 and has spent time in Arizona, Jacksonville, and Baltimore.
- Four weeks ago when Jonathan Gannon took over as the new head coach of the Arizona Cardinals he was fielding questions about DeAndre Hopkins’ future. He’s still fielding those questions today. But the rookie head coach says he’s operating as if Hopkins will be in Arizona next season.
- Gannon told Steve Wyche of NFL Network: “I’m operating that he’s a Cardinal right now,” Gannon said. “So, I’m looking forward to getting in the meeting room and on the field with him and seeing where it can go. I just know he’s an elite player. Being a defensive guy, I had to go up against him a couple of times in the division. The challenges that he presents. I’m excited to get to work with him.”
- Of course, that doesn’t mean that Hopkins won’t be traded. Gannon is simply planning on Hopkins being in Arizona for as long as he actually is. New England was named as a team calling the Cardinals about Hopkins in recent weeks. However, the Patriots signed JuJu Smith-Schuster to a three-year deal. So, whether or not there remains interest there seems unlikely.
- Jets wide receiver Allen Lazard isn’t worried about a trade for Aaron Rodgers to New York happening despite the delay: “There’s no worry on my end,” said the 27-year-old receiver to TMZ Sports. “Especially knowing that Aaron has his full-on commitment to being a New York Jet this year.”
- Sean Payton has added Joe Vitt to his coaching staff in Denver.
- The Patriots face the longest Super Bowl odds of the Bill Belichick era this season:
- Justin Fields made a huge leap in his development in 2022. Whether or not he still has things to work on (and he does) the tape doesn’t lie. Here are his best plays from the 2022 season:
- Don’t forget, MLB’s opening day is in less than one week! Did you see Jordan Hicks fire off a 105 mph fastball? 105!
- Paige Spiranac Fantasy Golf Pool
Sign-Up to Paige's Free Augusta Golf Pool and Get a chance to Win a Round of Golf with Paige!
Jameis Winston Says He’s Still a Starter in the NFL, Stroud Impresses, Levis Struggles, and Other NFL Bullets
49ers Encouraged by Brock Purdy’s Throwing Session, Mac Jones on Bill O’Brien, and Other NFL Bullets