Here’s Every Decision on Fifth-Year Options for 2020 Draftees
Tuesday was the deadline for NFL teams to exercise the fifth-year option on players from the 2020 NFL Draft. With that deadline come and gone, let’s recap the decisions for all of the eligible players.
But first, a quick rundown on the pay tiers:
1. Multiple Pro Bowls: Players who made two Pro Bowls on the original ballot (not reserve) will have their base salary equal to the franchise tag tender at their position.
2. One Pro Bowl: Players who made one Pro Bowl on the original ballot have their base salary equal to the transition tag at their position.
3. Playing time: For players who didn’t make a Pro Bowl, but their snap counts during their first three seasons meet one of the following three requirements: a) 75% or greater in two of their first three seasons b) an average of 75% or greater over all three seasons. c) 50% or greater over all three seasons. These players will have their fifth-year base salary from the average of the 3rd-to-25th-highest at their position over the past five seasons.
4. Basic: Players who do not meet any of the above will have their fifth-year base salary calculated from the average of the 3rd- to 25th-highest salaries at their position over the past five seasons.
Fifth-Year Option Decisions
Here are all of the players (sorted by draft position), what they’re due in 2024 on the option, and whether or not the option has been picked up or declined.
- Joe Burrow (QB), Bengals: $29,504,000 — Exercised
- Chase Young (DE), Commanders: $17,452,000 — Declined
- Jeff Okudah (CB), Falcons*: $11,514,000 — Voided
- Andrew Thomas (OT), Giants: $14,175,000 — Exercised
- Tua Tagovailoa (QB), Dolphins: $23,171,000 — Exercised
- Justin Herbert (QB), Chargers: $29,504,000 — Exercised
- Derrick Brown (DT), Panthers: $11,665,000 — Exercised
- Isaiah Simmons (LB), Cardinals: $12,722,000 — Declined
- C.J. Henderson (CB), Panthers*: $11,514,000 — Declined
- Jedrick Wills (OT), Browns: $14,175,000 — Exercised
- Mekhi Becton (OT), Jets: $13,565,000 — Declined
- Henry Ruggs III (WR), Raiders — Released in 2021
- Tristan Wirfs (OT), Buccaneers: $18,244,000 — Exercised
- Javon Kinlaw (DT), 49ers: $10,455,000 — Declined
- Jerry Jeudy (WR), Broncos: $12,987,000 — Exercised
- A.J. Terrell (CB), Falcons: $12,344,000 — Declined
- CeeDee Lamb (WR), Cowboys: $17,991,000 — Exercised
- Austin Jackson (OT), Dolphins: $14,175,000 — Declined
- Damon Arnette (CB), Raiders — Released in 2021
- K’Lavon Chaisson (DE), Jaguars: $12,141,000 — Declined
- Jalen Reagor (WR), Vikings*: $12,987,000 — Declined
- Justin Jefferson (WR), Vikings: $19,743,000 — Exercised
- Kenneth Murray (ILB), Chargers: $11,727,000 — Declined
- Cesar Ruiz (C), Saints: $14,175,000 — Declined
- Brandon Aiyuk (WR), 49ers: $14,124,000 — Exercised
- Jordan Love (QB), Packers: $20,272,000 — Extended
- Jordyn Brooks (ILB), Seahawks: $12,722,000 — Declined
- Patrick Queen (ILB), Ravens: $12,722,000 — Declined
- Isaiah Wilson (OT), Titans — Released in 2022
- Noah Igbinoghene (CB), Dolphins: $11,514,000 — Declined
- Jeff Gladney (CB), Vikings — Deceased
- Clyde Edwards-Helaire (RB), Chiefs: $5,461,000 — Declined