In a turn that no one saw coming this morning, Jonathan Taylor is getting that extension from the Indianapolis Colts, after all! After a public back-and-forth that overshadowed the Colts training camp and preseason and included the Colts allowing Jonathan Taylor to seek a trade, the two sides have agreed on an extension that will keep Taylor in Indianapolis and happy to be there.
According to NFL Media’s Ian Rapoport, the Colts and Taylor have agreed on a massive three-year, $42M extension this morning.
Earlier this week Taylor came off of the PUP list and was back at Colts practice and met with the media on Wednesday.
“It feels really good to be healthy. The main goal was to be healthy and play football.”
As for whether or not he wanted to be there, Taylor said only that he was there now, and nothing else mattered at that point. Taylor told reporters that he’s not here to discuss contract issues and that right now, it’s not about what he wants—but what he can do to help his teammates and the city of Indianapolis.
Well, now he’s going to be there, and presumably happy to be there.
Taylor can indeed help the Colts, who enter Week 5 at 2-2 following an overtime loss to the Rams last week. Rookie quarterback Anthony Richardson (and backup quarterback Gardner Minshew) have helped the Colts out-perform preseason expectations for the team thus far, but the rushing attack has been about what we thought it would be without Taylor in the backfield.
Taylor was removed from the injury report on Friday and will be back tomorrow, but don’t expect the Colts coaching staff to toss him into the deep end just yet. The Athletic’s Dianna Russini says that the Colts are “going to be smart with his usage” since he hasn’t played since last season.