The Self-Proclaimed “Best Corner in the Draft” Believes He Had Good Connection with the Bears

NFL.com analyst Chase Goodbread reports that Kentucky cornerback Lonnie Johnson Jr. “sensed a good connection” with the Chicago Bears during the formal interviews that took place last week.

But Johnson isn’t any run-of-the-mill Senior Bowl cornerback. Nope. If you let him tell it, he’s the best one entering the upcoming NFL Draft: “I feel like I’m the best corner in the draft. That’s what it is,” Johnson said. “I can tackle, I can cover, and some guys at my position don’t even want to tackle. I stood out. I’m 6-3, I’m 210 pounds, and I’m going to run 4.4 at the combine, so y’all can take it from there.”

Oh, you better believe we’ll take it from here, good sir. Because so long as the Bears are facing Aaron Rodgers, Matthew Stafford, and Kirk Cousins six times a year, you better believe our interest in the draft’s top cornerback is going to be higher than high. Especially one who can cover, tackle, and run a fast time in the 40-yard dash.

In any case, Johnson collected 64 tackles, three tackles-for-loss, a sack, 12 pass breakups, two blocked kicks, and a forced fumble the last two seasons at Kentucky. That’s a nice collection of stats for a player who appears to have a little jack-of-all-trades in him and no shortage of confidence. HOWEVER, he has just one interception under his belt. But still … to have the confidence to boldly proclaim you’re the best corner in the draft means you have some kind of gumption. And frankly, I like that kind of swagger in a player.

In the end, it’s swell news if the Bears have “the best corner in the draft” on their radar. After all, they could be in the market for a cornerback depending on what happens with free-agent-to-be Bryce Callahan. But if Johnson’s bite is as good as his bark, then it’s possible he won’t be on the board when the Bears get on the clock in Round 3.

(Photo by Jamie Squire/Getty Images)

written by

Luis C. Medina, who you can find on Twitter at lcm1986, has been covering the Chicago Bears at Bleacher Nation since 2017. Since then, he has written about 3 head coaches, 5 play-callers, and 11 starting quarterbacks. Previously, Luis wrote about the Cubs and MLB at BN (2015-16) and worked in the Chicago Tribune sports department (2011-16). He also co-hosted a Cubs postgame show, Outside the Ivy, in 2019.

more bears news

Bears Stadium Update: Illinois Legislature to Put Proposal on Back Burner

The Chicago Bears stadium plan proposal is taking a back seat for the time being. Reporting from the Chicago Tribune's Dan Patella and Jeremy Garner has the Illinois legislature kicking the can down the road on the Bears stadium project....

Rome Odunze is Expected to Return to Practice During This Round of Bears OTAs

The long weekend is over and another round of OTAs are underway at Halas Hall, and one update I hope we get some good news on is with regards to Chicago Bears wide receiver Rome Odunze. Odunze missed time missed...

Report: NFL Players Association Finalizing Proposal To Revamp Offseason Schedule

In an idea that makes all the sense in the world, it looks like the NFLPA is pushing to overhaul the NFL offseason and essentially eliminate OTAs. Tom Pelissero of the NFL Network reported that the Players Association is looking...

100 Days Until Football, Caleb’s Rankings, NFL Looking at Australia, and Other Bears Bullets

I woke up thinking today is Wednesday, which is a wild way for my brain to remind me that I'm still very much living in different time zones right now. The Chicago Bears won't kick off their season for another...

Caleb Williams Hasn’t Even Played a Down Yet and is Already a Top-20 Quarterback

'Tis the season for analysts to drop their quarterback rankings going into the 2024 NFL season. And while Caleb Williams has yet to take a snap as a pro, the Chicago Bears quarterback is already being regarded as a top-20...

Around the NFL: Travis Kelce on Butker’s Speech, Rodgers on Hackett, Maxx Crosby’s Raise, More

Travis Kelce becomes the latest to weigh in on the controversial commencement speech delivered by Harrison Butker this month. That and more in today's NFL Notes. Travis Kelce on Harrison Butker's Controversial Speech Much has been said about Harrison Butker's...

Tyrique Stevenson Learned About the H.I.T.S. Principle the Hard Way

As someone with a history of needing to learn things the hard way, I can relate to this Tyrique Stevenson story. In a sit-down conversation with Flo Factory, Stevenson tells a tale (h/t @ImBearingDown) of how he lost practice reps...

Countdown to 2024, Around the NFC North, Receiver Rumblings, and Other Bears Bullets

The re-acclimating process after all that driving and time-zone changes is bogging me down for a second consecutive day. Thankfully, today is a holiday (more on that later in this set of BN Bears Bullets) and that gives me some...

Checkdowns, Hard Knocks, Fields, QB1’s Other Tasks, and Other Bears Bullets

I'm back. Did you miss me? The following is an abbreviated version of Bears Bullets as I get back into the swing of things. DaWindyCity Production does tremendous work. And it doesn't get much better than a mock Hard Knocks...

Interesting Bears Predictions, Context on OTAs, Trust Your Gut, and Other Bears Bullets

We're probably a little early on schedule predictions like the one that Windy City Gridiron's Bill Zimmerman put together. Still, I appreciate his efforts and found the write-up entertaining nonetheless. Bill broke down every regular-season game and two playoff games...

Latest News

Tigers vs. Pirates: Start Time, Streaming Live, TV Channel, How to Watch

Kerry Carpenter and the Detroit Tigers (26-27) host Bryan Reynolds and the Pittsburgh Pirates (25-29) on Wednesday, with first pitch at 1:10 PM ET.Keep reading to find out how to watch the Detroit-Pittsburgh matchup in the article below.When is Tigers...

Blackhawks Sign Forward Prospect Martin Misiak

On Tuesday afternoon, the Blackhawks announced the team has signed forward Martin Misiak to a three-year, entry-level contract that runs through the 2026-27 season. The deal has a $878,333 cap hit. Misiak, 19, was a second-round pick (No. 55) by the...

Bears Stadium Update: Illinois Legislature to Put Proposal on Back Burner

The Chicago Bears stadium plan proposal is taking a back seat for the time being. Reporting from the Chicago Tribune's Dan Patella and Jeremy Garner has the Illinois legislature kicking the can down the road on the Bears stadium project....

Yankees vs. Angels Prediction: Expert Picks, Odds, Stats & Best Bets – Tuesday, May 28, 2024

Anthony Volpe (19 games) and Kevin Pillar (10 games) will look to add one more to their lengthy hitting streaks when the New York Yankees (37-18) and Los Angeles Angels (20-33) meet Tuesday at 9:38 PM ET, live on BSW...

Mariners vs. Astros Prediction: Expert Picks, Odds, Stats & Best Bets – Tuesday, May 28, 2024

The Seattle Mariners (29-26) are set to take on the Houston Astros (24-30) Tuesday at 9:40 PM ET, airing on SCHN. The Mariners are listed as -125 favorites by oddsmakers, while the underdog Astros have +106 odds for the contest.Luis...

Phillies vs. Giants Prediction: Expert Picks, Odds, Stats & Best Bets – Tuesday, May 28, 2024

J.T. Realmuto will look to extend his 16-game hitting streak when the Philadelphia Phillies (38-17) take on the San Francisco Giants (28-27). The Phillies are listed as -214 favorites on the moneyline for the contest, which starts at 9:45 PM...

Padres vs. Marlins Prediction: Expert Picks, Odds, Stats & Best Bets – Tuesday, May 28, 2024

The San Diego Padres will take the field against the Miami Marlins (19-36) on Tuesday. The game begins at 9:40 PM ET on BSFL, with the Padres listed as -130 favorites on the moneyline.San Diego's Matt Waldron gets the start,...

Kyrie Irving Player Props: Three-Pointer Props and Odds vs. the Timberwolves – Conference Finals Game 4, Tuesday, May 28, 2024

On Tuesday at 8:30 PM ET, the Dallas Mavericks meet the Minnesota Timberwolves in Game 4 of the Western Conference finals, and Kyrie Irving's 3-pointer prop for this matchup requires three triples.Kyrie Irving's Three-Pointer Prop Odds vs. the TimberwolvesKyrie Irving's...

Luka Doncic Player Props: Three-Pointer Props and Odds vs. the Timberwolves – Conference Finals Game 4, Tuesday, May 28, 2024

On Tuesday at 8:30 PM ET, the Dallas Mavericks meet the Minnesota Timberwolves in Game 4 of the Western Conference finals, and Luka Doncic's 3-pointer over/under for this matchup requires four triples.Luka Doncic's Three-Pointer Prop Odds vs. the TimberwolvesLuka Doncic's...

Karl-Anthony Towns Player Props: Three-Pointer Props and Odds vs. the Mavericks – Conference Finals Game 4, Tuesday, May 28, 2024

The Minnesota Timberwolves meet the Dallas Mavericks at 8:30 PM ET on Tuesday, in Game 4 of the Western Conference finals, and one of the 3-pointer over/unders available for this matchup requires two trifectas from Karl-Anthony Towns.Karl-Anthony Towns' Three-Pointer Prop...

more bears news