The Brewers Respond to the Ryan Braun PED Test, and What is the Impact on the Chicago Cubs?

I don’t like to overstate the implications of a one-player change on another NL Central team, as it relates to the Chicago Cubs’ chances in a given season. Baseball is whacky, teams and players surprise you, and a team builds its roster in response to other teams at the risk of wasting a whole lot of money.

But, that said: if the Milwaukee Brewers are really going to be forced to play 1/3 of the season without Ryan Braun, as well as the whole season without Prince Fielder, coupled with Albert Pujols’ defection from the Cardinals, I just don’t see how the Cubs could plausibly justify not amping up their 2012 efforts. Am I suggesting they break the bank at the risk of sabotaging the deep rebuild the organization needs? Absolutely not. But might it now be much more understandable if the Cubs hold onto a few pieces rather than trade them, and spend a little more money in free agency than they otherwise would have? Yes.

Think of it this way: do you believe the Cincinnati Reds (and, to a lesser extent, the Pittsburgh Pirates) didn’t collectively wake up today licking their chops? They know just how winnable the NL Central is about to become. Shouldn’t the Cubs also?

The Brewers have responded to the reports with the following statement, by way of owner Mark Attanasio:

“Ryan Braun has been a model citizen in every sense of the word, both in the Milwaukee community and for the Brewers. Since joining our organization in 2005, he has been a person of character and integrity.

“MLB has put a confidential testing program into place, which I personally support, that has a specific review process that must be followed before determining whether a player is in violation. Ryan has issued a statement that there are highly unusual circumstances surrounding this case that will support his complete innocence and demonstrate that there was absolutely no intentional violation of the program. We are dealing with an incomplete set of facts and speculation. Before there is a rush to judgment, Ryan deserves the right to be heard. We are committed to supporting Ryan to get to the truth of what happened in this unfortunate situation.

“As a father, I take the use of prohibited substances seriously, because I know the effects they can have on the body and on a person’s life. I want the Milwaukee community to know that we support drug testing not only because it is MLB policy but because it is the right thing to do.

“I need to acknowledge that at this point the Milwaukee Brewers have not heard from the Office of the Commissioner or any official entity related to the MLB testing programs. Accordingly we do not have access to any of the facts or knowledge of any of the circumstances that are being circulated in the media with regard to Ryan Braun. The team will release follow-up statements at the appropriate time.”

Rumors are today swirling that the substance triggering Braun’s test was not a “performance-enhancing” substance, but was, instead, a “banned” substance. To my knowledge, the only substances that are banned on bases other than their theoretically performance-enhancing nature are other illegal drugs, in the traditional sense (“drugs of abuse” – marijuana, cocaine, opiates, etc.). If that’s what Braun tested positive for, he could be in for an image hit, but might not be suspended. A review of the drug testing program suggests that players are only subject to suspension (60 games) for using drugs of abuse if they are convicted of, or plead guilty to, a criminal charge of possession. Of course, this whole approach ignores the elevated, synthetic testosterone levels reported in Braun’s test, but we’re still getting all of the facts.

To that end, there are reports that, when Braun learned of his test results – a “couple of weeks” – after taking the test, he demanded a re-test, which came up clean. That’s all well and good, but there are two problems: (1) “couple of weeks,” and (2) if you heard you failed a test, you’d probably do everything in your power to ensure you didn’t fail a re-test. I’m not accusing Braun of anything, obviously, because this is all just “allegedly.” I’m just saying, if my livelihood depended on it, I’m not failing that second test.

written by

Brett Taylor is the Lead Cubs Writer at Bleacher Nation, and you can find him on Twitter at @BleacherNation and on LinkedIn here. Brett is also the founder of Bleacher Nation, which opened up shop in 2008 as an independent blog about the Chicago Cubs. Later growing to incorporate coverage of other Chicago sports, Bleacher Nation is now one of the largest regional sports blogs on the web.

more cubs news

Enhanced Box Score: Reds 3, Cubs 2 – June 7, 2024

Teaser rally. Tying run stranded. Disappointment abounds. Justin Steele pitched quite well, and with a little defense, his line would look even better. It's nice to see him clicking again, though it doesn't much matter when the bats do next...

Pre-Gamin’: Cubs at Reds (6:10 CT) – Lineups, Broadcast Info, Game Thread

CUBS LINEUP — Well ... the Cubs "easy" stretch in the schedule is not quite going how I envisioned. But they still have three games in Cincinnati to make up some ground. Here's a look at the Cubs lineup for...

Cubs Roster Moves: Wicks Returns, Hodge to Iowa

Today the Chicago Cubs activated lefty Jordan Wicks from the Injured List (forearm), and sent reliever Porter Hodge to Triple-A Iowa. What's interesting about the timing here is that Jordan Wicks is not starting tonight. And he's not scheduled to...

MLBits: Elly’s Anniversary Blast, In the Weeds with Bat Tracking Data, Comparing Judge-Soto to Greats of the Past, More

MLB Notes — On the one-year anniversary of his Major League debut, Elly De La Cruz ripped a three-run home run that erased a 2-0 deficit for Cincinnati, who went on to beat the Cubs 8-4 on Thursday at Great...

Cubs Farm Report | June 7, 2024: Jaxon Wiggins’ Strong Debut Leads Pelicans to Victory

CUBS PROSPECTS — Cubs second-rounder Jaxon Wiggins made his Myrtle Beach Pelicans debut on Thursday and looked excellent, as the Pelicans earned the only win for the Cubs down on the farm yesterday. That and more in today's Cubs Farm...

Cubs Attached to a Top Prospect in the 2025 International Class

The 2024 Dominican Summer League kicked off this week, which means many of the top prospects from the 2024 International Free Agent class are beginning their professional careers (including top Chicago Cubs signing Fernando Cruz). It's good timing, then, to...

A Bit of Fun (Because We Need It), Amaya’s Development, Hodge’s Night, Edwards, Swanson, and Other Cubs Bullets

Surprise: the White Sox series did not magically fix all that ails the Cubs. They will have to fundamentally improve over a much, much, much longer trajectory for us to feel any kind of confidence that they can actually get...

An Early Lead? Wha? Seiya Suzuki With the Two-Run Shot

Maybe it's just my damaged heart, but it feels like weeks since the Cubs took an early, multi-run lead in a game. Thank you, Miguel Amaya for the third inning single, and thank you, Seiya Suzuki for the following homer:

Christopher Morel Puts the Cubs Back On Top

It's a game of homers so far, with Seiya Suzuki's two-run shot getting it started, then Elly De La Cruz's three-run homer giving the Reds the lead, and now Christopher Morel's two-run shot taking it back. That's a dozen on...

Nick Madrigal Broke His Hand In His First Game At Triple-A Iowa

[ankin_law] Whether you felt he should be sent back down to Triple-A Iowa or not, and whatever you think of his future role with the Chicago Cubs, I don't think you can feel anything but bad about what happened to...

Latest News

Best MLB Prop Bets Today, June 8, 2024

In a Saturday MLB slate that features 15 compelling contests, the Los Angeles Dodgers versus the New York Yankees is a game to see.Looking for MLB player prop bets for Saturday's games? This article features MLB player props for every...

Phillies vs. Mets Prediction: Expert Picks, Odds, Stats & Best Bets – Saturday, June 8, 2024

The Philadelphia Phillies (44-19) visit the New York Mets (27-35) at 1:10 PM ET Saturday for a sluggers' duel between two of the best home-run hitters in baseball. Bryce Harper has racked up 14 homers this season (No. 10 in...

Phillies vs. Mets Probable Starting Pitchers – June 8

After winning their past three games, the Philadelphia Phillies (44-19) visit the New York Mets (27-35) at London Stadium on Saturday at 1:10 PM ET.The Phillies will look to Ranger Suarez (9-1) versus the Mets and Sean Manaea (3-2).Phillies vs....

Mariners vs. Royals: Injury Report, Updates & Probable Starters – June 8

In the second game of a three-game set at Kauffman Stadium, the Kansas City Royals (38-26) take on the Seattle Mariners (36-29), Saturday at 4:10 PM ET.Looking to see who's playing for the Mariners and the Royals? Continue scrolling for...

Braves vs. Nationals: Injury Report, Updates & Probable Starters – June 8

On Saturday, the Atlanta Braves (35-26) are visiting the Washington Nationals (28-35), at 4:05 PM ET, in the third game of a four-game set.Want to see who's in and who's out for the Braves and the Nationals? Keep scrolling to...

Giants vs. Rangers: Injury Report, Updates & Probable Starters – June 8

At Globe Life Field on Saturday, the Texas Rangers (30-33) take on the San Francisco Giants (31-33), with first pitch at 4:05 PM ET.Looking to see who's playing for the Giants and the Rangers? Keep reading for full injury reports...

White Sox vs. Red Sox: Injury Report, Updates & Probable Starters – June 8

The Boston Red Sox (32-32) and Chicago White Sox (16-48) will meet on Saturday at Guaranteed Rate Field, starting at 4:10 PM ET.Curious about who's in and who's out for the White Sox and the Red Sox? Continue reading for...

Cardinals vs. Rockies: Injury Report, Updates & Probable Starters – June 8

In the third game of a four-game set at Busch Stadium, the St. Louis Cardinals (30-32) play the Colorado Rockies (22-41), Saturday at 4:15 PM ET.Curious about who's available to play for the Cardinals and the Rockies? Read on for...

Guardians vs. Marlins: Injury Report, Updates & Probable Starters – June 8

In the second game of a three-game set at LoanDepot park, the Miami Marlins (22-41) face the Cleveland Guardians (40-22), Saturday at 7:35 PM ET.Hoping to find out who's in and who's out for the Guardians and the Marlins? Read...

Yankees vs. Dodgers: Injury Report, Updates & Probable Starters – June 8

In the second game of a three-game set at Yankee Stadium, the Los Angeles Dodgers (40-25) face the New York Yankees (45-20), Saturday at 7:35 PM ET.Curious about who's available to play for the Yankees and the Dodgers? Continue scrolling...

more cubs news