Part of the reason I was in and out yesterday is because each of the kiddos has a touch of a stomach bug. And, right on cue, now I’ve got a touch of it myself. I hope they don’t feel as awful as I do. Posting today may reflect that awfulness.
- The Red Sox beat the Cardinals last night 3-1 on get-away day in St. Louis, which means they’ll head home up in the World Series three games to two. That gives them two shots to win it all, and they’ll have the benefit of their DH back in force. Speaking of which, it’s good that the Sox elected to go with David Ortiz at first base for the games in St. Louis: he is hitting .733/.750/1.267 in the series, and is approaching MVP-regardless-of-who-wins-the-series stature. (Not that he’d actually win the MVP if the Cardinals win the series, which is dumb.)
- Jason Parks says that, as Baseball Prospectus is putting together it’s top 101 prospect list, there are three Cubs prospects in consideration for the top ten(!). That would be Javier Baez, Kris Bryant, and Albert Almora. I’d be surprised if two of the three make the top 10, but they’ll all assuredly be in the top 20.
- The MiLB.com award for the Game of the Year? No surprise or argument: it’s the four homer game by Javier Baez back in June.
- Carrie Muskat answers questions.
- Baseball’s ratings aren’t what they once were, but that frames things the wrong way, per Craig Calcaterra. Indeed, baseball is doing just fine, and Calcaterra goes to great lengths to explain why.
- I previously shared with you the Ohio State marching band doing a tribute to Michael Jackson, complete with a giant, moonwalking Michael. I shared it, because I thought it was about as amazing as something like that gets. I was wrong. Here’s the Ohio State marching band doing a movie tribute, complete with a flying Harry Potter, a t-rex that eats a band member, and a pirate ship battle that ends in a sinking ship. They do all of this while playing the songs.
Lukewarm Stove: Happ “Expected to Hit the Market,” a Record Setting Ohtani Extension? Castillo and the Starting Pitcher Market, More
The Hawks Have a New Coach, Jonathan Toews Running? Bergeron Back in Boston, and Other Blackhawks Bullets