The Wife is introducing The Little Girl to stand-up paddle boarding to today, so that should be fun for them. Meanwhile, I’m gonna take The Little Boy and The Littlest Girl to Costco, so, you know, who’s *really* winning the day, eh?
- Sometimes, your offense is only as good as the pitchers you’re facing, and I do think we’ve gotta give some credit to the Pirates for having a good pitching staff. They really do. But, of course, if the Cubs were playing reasonably well, they still manage to score far more than just three runs in three days against these same Pirates pitchers. Alas, it’s been a solo homer in each game for the Cubs and nothing else. And it doesn’t get much easier against Jameson Taillon today, so here’s hoping Jose Quintana is ready to start that turnaround that Theo Epstein was hoping for.
- You are correct in your sense that the three solo homer thing does not happen often:
#Cubs last 3 games:
Thursday: 1-0 win (Happ HR)
Friday: 1-0 win (Schwarber HR)
Saturday: 3-1 loss (Zobrist HR)
First time in #Cubs history they were held to one run in 3 straight games with the run coming on a home run
— Christopher Kamka (@ckamka) August 19, 2018
- The Cubs have a lot of guys slumping right now, and even if you buy that David Bote will continue to rake, the Cubs are still hurt overall by the absence of Kris Bryant.
- Still, I don’t think the slumping will last forever. There’s just too much offensive talent on this club. And heck, Javy Baez can make bats levitate so he can probably hit a bit, too:
- After the Cubs’ loss and the Cardinals beating the Brewers again, the NL Central standings have finally flipped:
The updated NL Central standings are wild. Cardinals now in second place, 4.0 back of the Cubs. pic.twitter.com/fTEZRQAAJ0
— Bleacher Nation (@BleacherNation) August 19, 2018
- Yu Darvish makes his (second) first rehab start today for the South Bend Cubs. Gulp. I’m excited and nervous.
- Sure, dingers are great, but have you tried Javy Tags:
- Holy smokes, that’s a walk-off:
Oh my … the Dodgers lost on a walk-off BALK. pic.twitter.com/D8h9MlVej3
— Baseball is Fun (@flippingbats) August 19, 2018
- Amazon devices are on back-to-school deals, so you’ll want to check that out.
- Hey, the Bears won last night! A preseason game that saw two important young players injured … so … maybe they didn’t win. In any case, they have a young, talented, re-organized team this year and figure to be a lot of fun to follow. If you’re a latent Bears fan who checked out for the many down years (I don’t blame you) and want to get back into things, might I suggest our Bears coverage here. You are here, so presumably you like the BN style, so now you can get your Bears stuff there while you’re getting your Cubs stuff here. Also, follow us on Twitter and slap that like button on Facebook: