The Winter Meetings come to a close today, but it’s unlikely the Cubs do anything hard and fast today besides perhaps taking someone (and/or losing someone) in the Rule 5 Draft later this morning. Shrug.
- The market and Kris Bryant-related implications of these deals will always get our initial focus, but can I just say that it’s pretty awesome to think about Mike Trout, Shohei Ohtani, and Anthony Rendon hitting together in the Angels’ lineup next year? I mean, they’re gonna be so loaded they might not even have regular at bats available for Tommy La Stella! (I kid, but with David Fletcher presumably moving to second base now, La Stella very well might become a little-used bench bat on an AL team in his final year before free agency.)
- Joe Maddon must be so very happy about his good timing right now. Does need some pitching, though, and maybe an upgrade at catcher.
- The battle between MLB and Minor League Baseball rages on:
MLB deputy commish Halem offers detailed look — photos, internal MiLB email — into MLB’s beef with minors. Says 42-team hit list is inaccurate.
The owners: ‘The problem with them, there is what they say publicly, and what they say privately is different.’https://t.co/Yrc1ofcihM
— Michael Silverman (@MikeSilvermanBB) December 11, 2019
Response from MiLB owner: "“Rob is attempting to decimate the industry, destroy baseball in communities and eliminate thousands of jobs, and he’s upset that the owners of the teams have gone public with that information in an effort to save their teams."https://t.co/hHYXdOvNYi
— Bill Shaikin (@BillShaikin) December 12, 2019
- One bit of great news from Commissioner Manfred’s press conference at the Winter Meetings: all 30 MLB teams will have netting that goes beyond the far end of the dugout by next year. The Cubs had previously committed to a further extension of netting, though the particulars haven’t yet been released to the public. In an era of harder and harder foul balls – and the scary, sad, serious injuries that have accompanied them, including a little girl in Houston this year – there’s absolutely no excuse for MLB’s team not to take these measures.
- The latest on the Astros sign-stealing investigation has the league poring over tens of thousands of electronic messages and conducting dozens of interviews – so don’t expect a decision until next year:
— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) December 11, 2019
- Loads of deals at Amazon today for its ongoing 12 Days of Deals. #ad
- The MLB Draft is changing locations, and it’s pretty cool:
#MLB Commissioner Rob Manfred announces that the #MLBDraft will move to Omaha in 2020 and will take place June 10-12 prior to the start of the @NCAACWS. More details from @jimcallisMLB: https://t.co/H1Jopq1puI pic.twitter.com/wVNSecpCp5
— MLB Pipeline (@MLBPipeline) December 11, 2019
- More on the Cubs’ new manager:
— The Athletic Chicago (@TheAthleticCHI) December 11, 2019
- Yu Darvish taking shots at Victor Caratini is awesome:
- But Vic is ready to clap back!
I dont know what youre talking about because yours is eating and twitter pic.twitter.com/OGF3ePAor4
— Victor Caratini (@VictorCaratini) December 12, 2019