I heard ‘Sweet Caroline’ on the radio a few days ago, and it’s been stuck in my head ever since. The song, and then also thinking about it playing at Fenway Park with the fans in full participation. So that kinda sucks on a couple fronts.
• I laughed out loud (the actual version) when I saw this tweet:
Astros third baseman Alex Bregman is leaving his agency that was recently acquired by LeBron James.— The Athletic (@TheAthletic) May 20, 2020
James' media platform, Uninterrupted, is producing a new docuseries on the Astros’ sign-stealing scandal.
More from @Ken_Rosenthal for @TheAthleticMLB ⤵️https://t.co/1znER0wjFv
• That’s truly amazing and hilarious: NBA superstar LeBron James has a production company that is making a documentary about the cheating Astros, and so, after he bought a sports agency, one of that agency’s most prominent clients is leaving because of that documentary. Which, again, is going to focus on how that client – among others – was a big fat cheater. It might even touch on how unapologetic Astros players were initially, and then how unconvincing their apologies were after they were forced to offer them. Remember that stuff? Good times.
• Whether there is to be a baseball season this year remains to be seen, but IF there is one, a 47-year-old Bartolo Colon wants to be involved: “If I had the opportunity, I would play in any league; go anywhere,” he told ESPN. “If any major league team wants an old man, I’m available!” Although he did not reach the big leagues last year, Colon did pitch through 2018. You wonder if, with a shortened season and expanded rosters, is it possible Colon could have some use as a short-relief guy? Like, someone who could go a couple innings at the start of a game or as a bridge between the starter and the bullpen? Nobody is going to be throwing more than three or four innings at the start of the season anyway, so maybe? Eh, probably not. I just think it would be fun to see Colon back out there at 47.
• Colon had been gearing up to pitch in the Mexican League before the pandemic hit:
Sources: Veteran pitcher Bartolo Colon,46, has agreed to pitch in 2020 for @AcererosOficial, the Mexican League team in Monclova. The club also recently signed former big leaguer Rajai Davis. pic.twitter.com/QuSuqDKqKi— Jesse Sanchez (@JesseSanchezMLB) February 14, 2020
• Frankly, I’m a little surprised he hasn’t already shown up in Taiwan with Manny Ramirez.
• Patrick and I got to talk with Tom Verducci on the latest episode of our pod:
🎙Onto Waveland with @PJ_Mooney and @Brett_A_Taylor and guest host Tom Verducci!— The Athletic Chicago (@TheAthleticCHI) May 20, 2020
⚾️ The future of the Cubs pitching
⚾️ What a shortened season could mean for the Cubs
⚾️ Theo's next move
Full Episode 🎧: @iTunes: https://t.co/gKhERlr5XK@Spotify: https://t.co/1xEcU09EN6
• Four years ago today, one of Jason Heyward’s best catches with the Cubs:
• To cover as much ground as he did, to track the ball running backwards as long as he did, and then to sell out to catch the ball … man, what a catch. Obviously he paid the price for it, but did come back just a few days later.
• Folks, it is Yu Darvish throwing a baseball, and I will TAKE IT:
プロスピYouTuberをやっていたら野球がしたくなったので、投げてみました！— ダルビッシュ有(Yu Darvish) (@faridyu) May 20, 2020
• Speaking of Darvish:
Yu Darvish added a knuckle-curve to his repertoire late last season.— Marquee Sports Network (@WatchMarquee) May 19, 2020
When he did, his K/9 was 13.84 😳 pic.twitter.com/ORMjfZo2Y5
I miss watching Yu Darvish pitch. Dude turned a corner with this start at Dodger Stadium & was the pitcher everyone thought he would be when they signed him. Wanted to see that dude shove in 2020. pic.twitter.com/7iBYz45Z5T— Luis M., President of the Bryan Mullins Fan Club (@lcm1986) May 20, 2020
• One more thing on Darvish – remember how the Astros totally screwed him in the World Series thanks to their cheating? Yeah. Eff them. Full circle to the Bregman thing.
• Good find, Michael, because this is indeed a fun fact:
Fun fact: Edwin Jackson's eight (8)-walk no-hitter in 2010 wasn't even his best start of the year by game score:— Baseball is Fun (@flippingbats) May 19, 2020
1. 8/26 v. BAL (87 Game Score)
2. 6/02 at LAD (86)
3. 5/17 at FLA (86)
**4. The No-hitter (82)**
5. 8/31 at CLE (71)
• Obvious Shirts just released a line of obvious masks, since that’s going to be a regular part of our lives for a while:
• Horace Grant is pissed:
Horace Grant Pops Off on MJ: I Am Not a Snitch, and Nobody’s Taking My Foodhttps://t.co/ZDuwmt2vGI— Bleacher Nation Bulls (@BN_Bulls) May 19, 2020