On the Dangers of Overvaluing a Single Game

PhilEmeryConfused

As we get ready for a game that will define the season (it won’t strictly define it, but it will certainly change the spin one way or the other) I think it’s appropriate to look at what we know now, before we know the result. It can be dangerous to focus too much on results; that can lead to overlooking glaring problems or to unnecessary, rash changes. From what I’ve read about Phil Emery, he and his team are much more process-focused, which is comforting. I never felt the last regime had that attitude. (Do you think the Bears would have Brandon Marshall and Alshon Jeffery if Jerry Angelo had been given another year?)

So before we know how the season turns out, what do we know? Here are a few things I feel confident about moving forward into the offseason, regardless of the outcome of tomorrow’s game.

• The offense is good. Credit any number of people for this, in various amounts. Phil Emery, Marc Trestman, Aaron Kromer, the players themselves…there’s plenty of credit to go around. Just how drastic was the improvement? Beyond the vault in yards gained and points scored, the Bears currently rank 5th in the Football Outsiders Weighted Offense stat. They finished last season 24th. That’s incredible to think about, and as mentioned, the kudos can be spread to many parties. The improved offensive line, the development of Alshon Jeffery, the addition of Martellus Bennett, some great quarterback play (from both Cutler and McCown), and customary great years from veterans Brandon Marshall and Matt Forte, who I’d put in the top-5 at their positions. When my biggest issue with the offense is Roberto Garza’s inability to snap the ball to a quarterback in the shotgun, that’s probably a good sign. If you told me that all eleven offensive starters were coming back next season, I’d be more than happy about that.
  • The same cannot be said for the defense, though. The injury issues on the defensive side have been overwhelming, but other teams have had injuries by now as well, and those teams aren’t allowing 161.5 rushing yards per game. That’s good for last in the league, and over the last 10 seasons, only three other teams have allowed 160+ yards per game: the 2010 Bills, the 0-16 2008 Detroit Lions, and the 2006 Colts. (Silver lining alert: that Colts team obviously won the Super Bowl (like I had to remind everyone of that game…sigh) when Bob Sanders returned for the postseason, shoring up their defense. If you’d like to dream big, maybe Lance Briggs can play a similar role? To be honest, signing Bob Sanders off the street doesn’t even sound that crazy at this point.) So if there have been times this year, while watching every opposing running back break off long gains, you wondered if the level of defensive incompetence you’ve witnessed is rare, the answer is yes. I think it’s fair to expect an overhauled defensive unit, and after watching the offensive transformation that Phil Emery helped facilitate, I’m excited to see what moves the Bears decide to make. (Start with the safeties, please. The fact that Chris Conte and Major Wright are both “safeties” is growing more ironic than your average Brooklyn hipster bar.
  • Marc Trestman is a capable coach. It hasn’t been a flawless debut season for Trestman, (the decision to kick on second down against Minnesota stands out as his low point) but I think it’s very fair to say that he belongs as an NFL head coach. He’s not overmatched at all, and his analytical, aggressive approach to playcalling and game management is an attractive one. When he won the job, I wasn’t sure what to think; I just didn’t know enough about him. I think it’s fair to say now that I’m excited about the direction he has the team heading. Also, he’s 8-7 on challenges this year; considering Lovie’s long-documented woes (this 2011 Sun-Times piece had him at 19-61 at that point in his career; that’s staggeringly poor over a fairly large stretch of time) it’s refreshing to see a coach who seems to have some sort of plan for those plays. I’ve always felt that competent coaching is more important in football due to the shorter season; the smaller sample of games means that a mistake by the coaching staff is magnified in importance, in a way that a baseball manager pulling a pitcher too soon in May is not. I actually liken it to the baseball playoffs, when it becomes much more advantageous to have a manager who knows what he’s doing. In football, every game matters at that level.
  • Jay Cutler can succeed in this offense. This is sort of the big one, because the reaction to today’s game is likely going to focus on Cutler, win or lose. If he plays well in a Bears win, that will be the focus. If he plays poorly in a loss, that will absolutely be the focus, and that one game will probably dominate the inevitable contract talks in the offseason. But that’s not really a fair thing for him. One game is one game. He could play poorly and get lucky, he could play well and have terrible luck. We’re not really going to learn anything that can be useful long-term from this game. But over the course of the year, as Cutler put up some very good numbers (albeit in limited starts) it became increasingly clear that he can be a fit with this offense. I think on a reasonable deal, he should be back in Chicago. That opinion isn’t going to change based on the game. He could throw throws five interceptions and I wouldn’t want him gone, and he could throw five interceptions and I wouldn’t want to drastically overpay for his services. I’d much rather see the touchdowns, though.
  • What are you sure about?

written by

Brett Taylor is the Lead Cubs Writer at Bleacher Nation, and you can find him on Twitter at @BleacherNation and on LinkedIn here. Brett is also the founder of Bleacher Nation, which opened up shop in 2008 as an independent blog about the Chicago Cubs. Later growing to incorporate coverage of other Chicago sports, Bleacher Nation is now one of the largest regional sports blogs on the web.

more bears news

Caleb Williams Rookie Contract Status Update: When Will He Sign?

Here's how peaceful things are at Halas Hall: Caleb Williams, the No. 1 overall pick in the 2024 NFL Draft, has yet to sign his rookie contract. And yet, there have been no whispers of a holdout and no buzz...

How and When You Can Get Chicago Bears Training Camp Tickets

Summer break is underway for the Chicago Bears. Next up, training camp! The Bears just announced their training camp schedule, so clear your calendars. Chicago Bears 2024 Training Camp Practice Schedule These are the dates in which Chicago's football team...

Summer Break Begins Now For the Chicago Bears

The 2024 season promises to be an entertaining one for the Chicago Bears and their fans. This team has games on Sunday Night Football, Monday Night Football, and Thursday Night Football on its schedule. It also has a trip to...

Bears to Host Practice with Bengals During Training Camp

During his press conference this afternoon, Bears head coach Matt Eberflus announced that the team will host the Cincinnati Bengals for a live practice during training camp. The practice will take place on Thursday, August 15, ahead of their preseason...

Explaining Another Caleb INT, Punter Prowess, Manti Te’o on TV? And Other Bears Bullets

The last day of Bears mandatory minicamp is today. Here's hoping everyone (present company included) finishes the week on a high note. In case you missed it: We've got some news, notes, nuggets, tidbits, and highlights from Day 1 and...

Vikings Reveal New Winter Warrior Jerseys — Which They’ll Debut vs. the Bears

A team in the NFC North is set to debut a new uniform this season. Unfortunately, it is not the Chicago Bears. The Minnesota Vikings dropped a video on Thursday morning revealing the eye-popping, fashion-forward new uniform look. Check it...

Bears Day 2 Minicamp Notes: Best and Worst of Caleb, Injury Absences, More

Another day of Chicago Bears mandatory minicamp shenanigans. Let's get into it: Caleb Williams hooks up with Velus Jones Jr. I'm not even going to waste time with a wordy intro. Instead, I just want you to enjoy this throw...

What About a Teven Jenkins Extension?

Teven Jenkins is entering the final year of his rookie contract, which means the Chicago Bears will soon hit a crossroads regarding what to do with their starting left guard. Bear Report's Zack Pearson sets us up for Teven Jenkins...

Tory Taylor Was the Day 2 Star of Bears Minicamp

We'll have a fuller roundup of mandatory minicamp shenanigans later in the afternoon. But before we get to those, we clearly need to discuss Chicago Bears punter Tory Taylor, who apparently stole the show during Wednesday's practice. https://twitter.com/AdamHoge/status/1798429242449129586 Herb Howard...

Dynasty Rankings: 2024 Top Twelve Dynasty Rookies

The NFL has become a year-round sport. Since the final second ticked off of another Chiefs’ Super Bowl victory on February 11th, the league has dominated sports highlights and headlines with the likes of the NFL Combine, a busy free...

Latest News

How to Watch Guardians vs. Marlins: Live Stream or on TV

Logan Allen will take the mound for the Cleveland Guardians (40-21) when they visit starting pitcher Ryan Weathers and the Miami Marlins (21-41) in a series opener on Friday, with first pitch at 7:10 PM ET.Keep scrolling to find out...

An Early Lead? Wha? Seiya Suzuki With the Two-Run Shot

Maybe it's just my damaged heart, but it feels like weeks since the Cubs took an early, multi-run lead in a game. Thank you, Miguel Amaya for the third inning single, and thank you, Seiya Suzuki for the following homer:...

Pittsburgh Pirates vs. Minnesota Twins Series June 7-9: Odds, Starting Pitchers & Predictions

The Pittsburgh Pirates will be hosting the Minnesota Twins for a three-game series, with the first matchup getting underway at 6:40 PM ET on Friday, June 7.Pirates vs. Twins Series Info Twins @ Pirates Time: Friday, June 7 at 6:40...

Detroit Tigers vs. Milwaukee Brewers Series June 7-9: Odds, Starting Pitchers & Predictions

A three-game series featuring the Detroit Tigers and the visiting Milwaukee Brewers will start on Friday, June 7 at 6:40 PM ET.Tigers vs. Brewers Series Info Brewers @ Tigers Time: Friday, June 7 at 6:40 PM ET Tigers Starting Pitcher:...

Miami Marlins vs. Cleveland Guardians Series June 7-9: Odds, Starting Pitchers & Predictions

A three-game series featuring the Miami Marlins and the visiting Cleveland Guardians will start on Friday, June 7 at 7:10 PM ET.Marlins vs. Guardians Series Info Guardians @ Marlins Time: Friday, June 7 at 7:10 PM ET Marlins Starting Pitcher:...

Tampa Bay Rays vs. Baltimore Orioles Series June 7-10: Odds, Starting Pitchers & Predictions

The Tampa Bay Rays will be hosting the Baltimore Orioles for a four-game series, with the action getting underway at 6:50 PM ET on Friday, June 7.Rays vs. Orioles Series Info Orioles @ Rays Time: Friday, June 7 at 6:50...

New York Yankees vs. Los Angeles Dodgers Series June 7-9: Odds, Starting Pitchers & Predictions

In the first of a three-game series, on Friday, June 7 at 7:05 PM ET, the New York Yankees will host the Los Angeles Dodgers.Yankees vs. Dodgers Series Info Dodgers @ Yankees Time: Friday, June 7 at 7:05 PM ET...

History Will Be Made the Moment the NBA Finals Tips Off Tonight

The 2023-24 NBA Finals is already one for the record books. When the Dallas Mavericks and Boston Celtics tip things off at TD Garden on Thursday night, history will be made on the sidelines. Doris Burke will be on the...

Caleb Williams Rookie Contract Status Update: When Will He Sign?

Here's how peaceful things are at Halas Hall: Caleb Williams, the No. 1 overall pick in the 2024 NFL Draft, has yet to sign his rookie contract. And yet, there have been no whispers of a holdout and no buzz...

How and When You Can Get Chicago Bears Training Camp Tickets

Summer break is underway for the Chicago Bears. Next up, training camp! The Bears just announced their training camp schedule, so clear your calendars. Chicago Bears 2024 Training Camp Practice Schedule These are the dates in which Chicago's football team...

more bears news