Schedule Drop Coming, WR Value, Nerds Love the Fields Trade, and Other Bears Bullets

I’m doing a group thing with fellow vaccinated friends next week and I just want to cook and bake everything for them/us because it’s been so long since we’ve been able to enjoy each other’s company. My kitchen is going to look like it went through an audition for one of those cooking challenge shows, isn’t it?

•   Tomorrow’s only a day away:

•   There isn’t a sport where a schedule-release is more anticipated than in the NFL. Part of it is because the NFL makes an event out of everything. Almost to the point of exhaustion. Does *EVERY* month need a signature event? Of course it does, per the league offices. But I won’t complain. Building up buzz for a schedule release puts me in the mindset of figuring out where I want to watch football in 2021. And because I missed out on a year’s worth of traveling last year, I’m looking forward to making up for lost time. I don’t imagine I’m alone in feeling this way.

•   The Bears’ list of opponents includes games at Soldier Field against the Cardinals, Ravens, Giants, Niners, and Bengals. When Chicago hits the road, it will see the Browns, Steelers, Buccaneers, Rams, and Seahawks. Of course, they’ll see division foes at home and on the road. And let’s not forget the addition of the Raiders game making it 17 contests this season. There are plenty of worthwhile subplots to dive into, but we’ll wait until tomorrow before we get into it.

•   Chicago’s football team hasn’t been the most analytical inclined franchise in recent years. Or ever, if we’re truly being honest with each other. But perhaps the Bears are starting to turn a corner. Seth Walder, ESPN’s football analytics lead voice, speaks highly of Chicago’s trade-up to select Justin Fields:

“Let me start off by saying that trades are not a zero-sum game and this deal is a perfect example: It’s a win-win. The value calculation changes for a team trading up for a quarterback — the upside of “hitting” on the pick is dramatically higher than hitting on a non-quarterback — and so the Bears paying this premium for Fields is, in my view, not only acceptable but worthwhile.”

•   No one loves a good “win-win” deal more than I do. After all, there’s a reason folks in fantasy circles call me Trader Lu. But this Bears-Giants trade really takes the cake. Chicago gets its big swing at a premium prospect with upside. New York receives future value in draft capital. What’s not to love? Granted, what happens in the future will shape how we discuss the trade among ourselves and with others. But at its most basic level, it’s a great deal because both sides get something they want.

•   And then we have the Broncos, who passed on drafting Fields and didn’t accept a trade-up that would have net them a haul of picks. Why? Well, because teams’ “horny” levels didn’t add up. Per Michael Silver, the NFL insider who has the scoop from Broncos camp:

In the days leading up to the draft, Paton had received preliminary overtures from the Eagles (picking 12th overall in Round 1), Vikings (14th overall), Bears (20th) and Saints (28th). As he sat in his office early Wednesday morning, Paton wondered if he might receive an exorbitant offer when the Broncos were on the clock that he’d be tempted to take, perhaps from a team desperate for a quarterback.

“Maybe we get a haul,” Paton said. “Maybe we can take advantage of a team that is, as Vic would say, ‘horny.’ I don’t know why he always uses that word, but it cracks me up.”

•   I … um … alrighty, then.

•   As a long-timer supporter of student journalism, I’d approve of the effort and execution here from Nicholas Moreano of The Chicago Audible

•   This saga has more drama than abuela’s telenovelas:

•   An interesting observation from NFL Network insider Ian Rapoport:

•   I wonder if we’ll hit a point where receivers in the Draft are viewed in the same light as running backs. Still incredibly valuable, particularly if you have depth at the position. But because productive ones can be unearthed at various points in the Draft, becomes a position that becomes de-prioritized on Day 1.

•   A worthwhile nugget: Five of PFF’s 10 highest-graded receivers last season were *NOT* first-round picks. Davante Adams, A.J. Brown, and Allen Robinson II were second-rounders. Stefon Diggs was a fifth-round choice. Adam Thielen went undrafted. Justin Jefferson, DeAndre Hopkins, Julio Jones, Will Fuller V, and Corey Davis were first-rounders. In other words, there’s early-round value to be had with the right pick. But recent trends suggest there is real value in waiting it out because of the volume of talent at the position.

•   As NFL Primetime remains one of the most entertaining football programs, it rolls on with a familiar face hosting:

•   Vacuums and puppy toys are among your Deals of the Day today at Amazon. #ad

•   We’re getting close to the end of the road for the Bulls. And while they’re fighting for their playoff lives right now, a year ago at this time, we were marveling at The Last Dance:

•   You can follow our coverage here, on Twitter, and at Facebook.

•   Congratulations to Mario wrapping up his first season covering the Blackhaws here at BN. The season didn’t go as well as anyone hoped, but we had fun along the way. And after the pandemic threw the hockey world for a loop last year, I’m just thankful we were given an expanded NHL season to watch. Here’s to a healthy Jonathan Toews, a still stellar Patrick Kane, and the continued rise of Alex DeBrincat. See you crazy kids in October.

written by

Luis C. Medina, who you can find on Twitter at lcm1986, has been covering the Chicago Bears at Bleacher Nation since 2017. Since then, he has written about 3 head coaches, 5 play-callers, and 11 starting quarterbacks. Previously, Luis wrote about the Cubs and MLB at BN (2015-16) and worked in the Chicago Tribune sports department (2011-16). He also co-hosted a Cubs postgame show, Outside the Ivy, in 2019.

more bears news

Bears Rookie Minicamp Takeaways: Caleb Williams and the Best of the Rest

I've said it, and I'll continue to say it: this chapter of Chicago Bears football feels different. Perhaps it's because the last time we did this, we were in a pandemic, and when the Bears jumped up to No. 11...

Jared Goff Becomes the Highest-Paid Lion Ever!

The Detroit Lions have been busy in recent weeks securing their core after a run to the NFC title game last season. Jared Goff became the latest player to get a new deal in Detroit, and he became the highest-paid...

Antoine Winfield Jr Signs Record-Breaking Extension

The Buccaneers have made Antoine Winfield Jr the highest-paid defensive back in the history of the NFL. On Monday afternoon, Winfield Jr and Tampa Bay agreed to a four-year, $84.1 million deal. It also guarantees the Bucs' star $45 million....

Bears Sign 6 Players After Rookie Minicamp Weekend Tryouts

The Chicago Bears offseason roster churn continues. In addition to their five-player draft class headlined by Caleb Williams and Rome Odunze (plus nine more players who were signed as undrafted free agents), the Bears have signed six free agents who...

They’re No. 1: Bears Wide Receivers Room Ranks as NFL’s Best

One of my biggest frustrations with the Ryan Pace regime was how the former Chicago Bears general manager didn't invest in wide receiver upgrades the way you'd expect a team building around a young quarterback should. Meanwhile, his replacement, Ryan...

The Cost of Being a Football Fan (And Other Bears Bullets)

In yet another reminder that nothing in life is free, the folks at Awful Announcing put the total cost to access NFL games this season projects to be $855.86. With 272 games on the NFL schedule, that comes out to...

Rome Odunze Missed Saturday’s Bears Rookie Minicamp Practice

I was rounding up this morning's set of Bears Bullets when I saw this note from the Chicago Tribune's Dan Wiederer on rookie wide receiver Rome Odunze sitting out Saturday's practice with hamstring tightness and I knew I had to...

A New Tight End, Day 2 Camp Pics and Vids, Edge Market Developing, and Other Bears Bullets

It's Mother's Day today. And while my mother passed away in 2017, I try to use this day to remember and honor her memory. Do something nice for the moms in your life today. You only get one. Chicago Bears...

Caleb to Rome, First Day Notes, Big LSU Bet Is Off, and Other Bears Bullets

I'm off to Springfield to play the role of Uncle Lu this weekend, so we'll have an abridged version of Bears Bullets today. Caleb Williams survived his first practice as Chicago Bears QB1. And all was right with the football...

Tory Taylor is the First Bears Draft Pick to Sign Their Rookie Deal

There will be no punter hold out this summer. Tory Taylor is officially locked in: https://twitter.com/chicagobears/status/1789283410294321438?s=46&t=9_XcB6r0ywNyv4WuAOFkLA The Chicago Bears announced Tory Taylor’s signing on Saturday morning. And in doing so, made him the first of the team’s five 2024 NFL...

Latest News

Orioles vs. Blue Jays: Start Time, Streaming Live, TV Channel, How to Watch

The Baltimore Orioles (26-13), with Kyle Bradish on the hill, host the Toronto Blue Jays (18-22) who will hand the ball to Chris Bassitt, at 6:35 PM ET on Tuesday in a series opener.Find out how to watch the Baltimore-Toronto...

Tigers vs. Marlins: Free Live Stream, TV Channel, How to Watch

On Tuesday, Riley Greene and the Detroit Tigers (20-20) play Jazz Chisholm and the Miami Marlins (11-31), with first pitch scheduled for 6:40 PM ET at Comerica Park.Keep reading to find out all the details on how to watch Detroit...

How to Watch Twins Games: Full 2024 Schedule, Live Stream and More

Target Field is buzzing with anticipation as the Minnesota Twins heat up for the remainder of their 2024 MLB Schedule. We’re here to make sure you don’t miss any of the action. Let’s take a look at the Minnesota Twins'...

How to Watch Brewers Games: Full 2024 Schedule, Live Stream and More

Summer in Milwaukee sizzles with baseball fever, and American Family Field is roaring with the energy of the Brewers faithful! Whether you’re a die-hard fan of the Brew Crew or just enjoy catching some local baseball, we’re here with the...

MLB Has a New Streaming Home For Its ‘Sunday Leadoff’ Games

Fans can now watch MLB games via Roku. Do with that what you will. The "MLB Sunday Leadoff" games will begin this weekend. The first game, featuring the Boston Red Sox and St. Louis Cardinals, starts at 12:05 p.m. CT,...

Cubs Roster Move: Alzolay to the IL, Cuas Returns (UPDATE)

It felt like this situation with Adbert Alzolay could not go on much longer, and it has now resolved itself with an Injured List move. Today, the Cubs placed Alzolay on the 15-day IL with a right forearm strain. Jose...

Pre-Gamin’: Cubs at Braves (6:20 CT) – Lineups, Broadcast Info, Game Thread

CUBS LINEUP — The Atlanta Braves are one of, if not the toughest opponent the Cubs will face this season. But Seiya Suzuki is back, Cody Bellinger is back, and Shota Imanaga is on the mound. This Cubs team is...

Where is the 2024 PGA Championship? Valhalla Golf Club Course Details

The PGA Championship, which is the second major of the 2024 calendar, will hold its 106th edition at Valhalla Golf Club in Louisville, Kentucky, from May 16-19. The course was designed by the all-time major champion, Jack Nicklaus, and is ranked as the top course...

How to Watch Marlins Games: Full 2024 Schedule, Live Stream and More

The South Florida sun is shining, and there’s plenty of baseball still to be played at loanDepot Park. Whether you're cheering the Marlins on from the stands or following the action remotely, they have a loaded remaining 2024 MLB schedule....

more bears news