Professional football is being played tonight. I mean, it’s just the Cowboys. So I’m using “professional” in the loosest terms. Nevertheless, football is back.
• I’m at training camp again today. Here’s to trying harder to not getting sunburn.
• Lions Head Coach Dan Campbell is an absolute hoot. But I’ll take his coffee order at this hour of the morning:
— Woodward Sports Network (@woodwardsports) August 3, 2021
• After completing an epic fantasy baseball trade deadline in which I sent out Clayton Kershaw, Matt Olson, Trevor Rogers, and Kenta Maeda to bring in Jose Ramirez, Nelson Cruz, Kyle Schwarber, Adbert Alzolay, Triston McKenzie, and Noelvi Marte, I’m not quite ready to dive into fantasy football. However, PFF’s Nathan Jahnke has us covered. Jahnke highlights five sleeper receivers you should have your eyes on when your team goes on the clock. Making the cut here is Bears second-year pass-catcher Darnell Mooney.
• It’s easy to wrap your arms around Mooney as a fantasy standout. He has a secure role, flashed some skills as a rookie, and saw his team’s quarterbacks room get upgrades in the offseason. Improving from the third-lowest accuracy rate on deep passes should go a long way to maximizing Mooney’s talent. And if that happens, it’ll pay off in real football, too.
• Cool shirts for a good cause:
We exist TO HELP! Order our exclusive "License to Thrill" design now through August 15th and help us help Not Before My Parents. You can learn more, and pick up a shirt to help, at https://t.co/nEdI9taCyk #BearDown #DaBears pic.twitter.com/6bRargSnwA
— 26shirts: Chicago (@26shirtsCHI) August 4, 2021
• Jeff Hughes (Da Bears Blog) opines that if Fields master his craft and nails his fundamentals in August, he should be starting in September. This is an important time for Fields, whose development is the No. 1 priority for this training camp period. And I’m not sure what’s a close second. The Bears will go only as far as Fields will take them. Should Fields take all the right steps, the least he’ll be able to do is force Matt Nagy to make a tough decision on who should start early. But because Dalton looks comfortable and competent to this point, there is no reason to rush making the call to Fields.
• PFF’s Sam Monson calls Fields one of the 10 rookies we must have eyes on as fans this summer. Duh.
• Alyssa Barbieri (Bears Wire) writes Jesse James is making a case for TE3 status, which is impressive because he just got here. But I’m willing to take it a step further and say James is establishing himself as TE3. Maybe it’s because of the early rapport with Fields, but I’ve got him in pen as TE3 at this point.
• Keeping my fingers crossed for good news:
Eddie Goldman, Christian Jones, Patrick Scales & Elijah Wilkinson were placed on the reserve/COVID-19 list but there is a chance this episode was the result of a false positive test. So, stay tuned for an update in the AM.
— Brad Biggs (@BradBiggs) August 4, 2021
• I think Akiem Hicks’ 99 GROWL rating would put his overall Madden grade into the 90s:
Thoughts? 🤔 pic.twitter.com/tEv6MXMuue
— Chicago Bears (@ChicagoBears) August 4, 2021
• Never apologize for this, Eli:
DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA Rozan. pic.twitter.com/07vVMF5vjP
— Bleacher Nation Bulls (@BN_Bulls) August 5, 2021
• It’s wild to see some baseball fans react like Javy Báez hasn’t been doing this going on seven years:
— Bleacher Nation (@BleacherNation) August 4, 2021
• Meet your new favorite goalie:
Marc-André Fleury Speaks: Joining The Blackhawks, Learning Of The Trade, Teaming With Patrick Kane, and Morehttps://t.co/ElkDPm2bp6
— Bleacher Nation Blackhawks (@BN_Blackhawks) August 4, 2021