Today was one of those beautiful, cloudless summer days that you dream of in Chicago when you’re digging out from a foot of snow during yet another dreary winter. Here’s to enjoying the rest of your Friday.
The Latest From the Line
An updated look at the offensive line…
… which is subject to change, especially if you let new Offensive Coordinator Luke Getsy tell the story:
Would I rather the Bears be rolling with an offensive line that is set in stone? Absolutely! Am I bothered that it isn’t? Not really. We’ve had only a handful of practice with pads. Two projected starters (Reiff, Schofield) have been with the team for just a few weeks. We haven’t even seen a healthy Teven Jenkins practice, let alone start the process of figuring out where he can fit in this mix. So while we know better than to put too much stock into preseason play. How this offensive line performs one week from tomorrow at the preseason opener against the Chiefs *SHOULD* give us some clarity.
A Most Encouraging Justin Fields Update
Sure, we want Fields making every throw. But we shouldn’t lose sight of another important aspect of his game:
It’s not always about how you fall. But instead, what you do after getting up and dusting yourself off that says so much about a player. Considering the questions up front on the line, Fields might be picking himself up and dusting himself off a bunch this year. Then again, Fields showed a ton of resolve last year. And as we continue to learn exactly how the last regime failed him, there should be no questioning Fields’ bounce-back abilities.
- As long as these callousing practices don’t result in injuries, then I’m down for pushing it to the limits in Year 1 of a new regime:
- Well, this is a different way of going about practicing:
- Merely doing the opposite of what Matt Nagy would do feels like it would be a notable improvement.
- There were a bunch of tweets about former Cowboys coach Jason Garrett being at Bears camp. Even though Garrett has a history with Matt Eberflus, make note that Garrett now works for NBC Sports as an analyst. So it’s not as if he spent the day instructing Fields.
- Another interesting matchup between two of camp’s best players to this point, TE Cole Kmet and S Jaquan Brisker:
- Love that Kmet is making tough contested catches, hate that he didn’t secure this one. Don’t love that Brisker got beat, but these things happen. However, I’m digging the breakup here. Good play on both ends? Is that even legal?
- There haven’t been many kicking updates this summer. But you know how it is — no news is good news when it comes to kickers. So let’s enjoy this while we can.
- Bring on Eddie Jackson’s Revenge Tour:
- Don’t love seeing all these non-participants. Hopefully, these were health and maintenance days. It’s a long, hot summer: