Before I get into the nitty-gritty, I’d like to thank Patrick (again) for holding down the fort for the last two weeks. It has been a trying time for yours truly. But between the support I’ve gotten from friends, family, co-workers, fans, followers, colleagues, strangers, and others, I’ve made it to this point. And with your continued support, I’ll keep chugging along.
With that being said, it’s almost time for the grand finale of the Chicago Bears’ regular season.
OK, so maybe it’s not so grand. The list of injured Bears is kin to the scene at the end of the O.G. Space Jam movie where Michael Jordan looks to the end of the bench and all he sees are injured Tune Squad teammates. Bill Murray isn’t walking through that tunnel. But Chicago’s football team still has enough healthy bodies to play, so they’ll give it a go.
One player who I’m looking forward to seeing perform is David Montgomery. The Bears’ starting running back for the last four seasons might be suiting up as a member of the squad for the final time. Monty’s contract is up at the end of this season. And while there were whispers of an extension being a real possibility early last offseason, nothing came of them. There was stuff about the team waiting out to see his fit, but even then … nothing.
If this is the end for Monty, let him go out on a high note — especially if it comes in a game that leads the Bears to landing the first overall pick in the 2023 NFL Draft.
Game Info and TV Coverage
Chicago Bears (3-13, 4th NFC North) vs Minnesota Vikings (12-4, 1st NFC North) – FOX (Kenny Albert, Jonathan Vilma, Shannon Spake); WBBM 780 AM, 105.9 FM (Jeff Joniak, Tom Thayer, Mark Grote)
Kickoff Time: Noon CT
Site: Soldier Field; Chicago.
Referee: Brad Allen
Odds: Vikings -6.5, O/U 43 (via DraftKings Sports Book)
Game Thread (Week 18 Preview)
Your game thread is down in the comments, so let’s have some good, clean (safe-for-work) fun. And, Lord willing, we’ll see you next year.
Starting Quarterbacks and Projected Game Stats
Bears: Nathan Peterman: 19/31, 219 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT; 4 carries, 14 rushing yards
Vikings: Kirk Cousins: 23/36, 287 passing yards, 2 TD, 1 INT; 2 carries, 9 rushing yards
Bears Projected Starters
• QB Nathan Peterman
• RB David Montgomery
• FB Khari Blasingame
• WRs Chase Claypool, Equanimeous St. Brown, Byron Pringle
• TE Cole Kmet
• LT Braxton Jones, LG Cody Whitehair, C Sam Mustipher, RG Dieter Eiselen, RT Riley Reiff
• LDE Trevis Gipson, LDT Mike Pennel Jr., RDT Justin Jones, RDE Dominique Robinson
• SAM Matthew Adams, MIKE Joe Thomas, WILL Nicholas Morrow
• LCB Greg Stroman Jr., RCB Kyler Gordon
• FS DeAndre Houston-Carson, SS Jaquan Brisker
• Cairo Santos (kicker), Trenton Gill (punter, holder), Patrick Scales (long snapper), Velus Jones Jr. (kick returns), Dante Pettis (punt returns)
Vikings Projected Starters
• QB Kirk Cousins
• RB Dalvin Cook
• WRs Justin Jefferson, Adam Theilen, K.J. Osborn
• TE T.J. Hockenson
• LT Christian Darrisaw, LG Ezra Cleveland, C Chris Reed, RG Ed Ingram, RT Olisaemeka Udoh
• LDE Dalvin Thompson, NT Khyris Tonga, RDE Harrison Phillips
• WLB Danielle Hunter, LILB Eric Kendricks, RILB Jordan Hicks, SLB D.J. Wonnum
• LCB Patrick Peterson, RCB Duke Shelley
• FS Camryn Bynum, SS Josh Metellus
• Greg Joseph (kicker), Ryan Wright (punter, holder), Andrew DePaola (long snapper), Jalen Reagor, Kene Nwangwu (kick and punt returns)