There’s but one weekend left before the Trade Deadline …
Friday, July 17
- As Luke put it: never trust a chicken coaching first base.
- Tsuyoshi Wada and Rafael Soriano reached AAA and look ready to come to the Cubs.
- Would you like to see the Cubs in the one-game Wild Card playoff … against the Cardinals?
- Kyle Schwarber arrived for round two.
- Michael looked at the Braves as sellers this deadline.
- Chris Coghlan on hitting, John Baker on Periscope.
- There’s a big fantasy contest going today, and you can win a signed Jorge Soler bat (and $100,000).
- Many rumors from the latest Lukewarm Stove.
- The Cubs lost it late to the Braves.
Saturday, July 18
- The loss to the Braves was frustrating, but not as frustrating as you might have thought.
- Having made his starting debut behind the plate, Kyle Schwarber’s catching came in for praise.
- In advance of his arrival, I wondered how the Cubs would maneuver Rafael Soriano onto the roster.
- The Cubs signed a back-up, back-up catcher.
- Michael’s latest look at the possible trade partners for the Cubs was among the best fits: the Oakland A’s.
- The pitching has been great, but make no mistake, the Cubs do need to add another starter.
- The Cubs shut out the Braves, and Jon Lester took a surprise no-hitter into the 8th.
Sunday, July 19
- Jon Lester has been so good this year, and many haven’t noticed.
- Luke wrote about the top of the Cubs’ farm system, what with all of the graduations.
- The big rumor of the weekend: the Cubs are still talking to the Phillies about Cole Hamels, according to Ken Rosenthal.
- Luis wrote about the importance of pitch-framing to the Cubs (and other teams).
- I put together my lineup for today’s big fantasy contest, and immediately had to make a change.
- The Cubs beat the Braves 4-1 behind Jake Arrieta’s dominance and took the series from the Braves.
- The Cubs closed out the weekend by making the tough decision to DFA Edwin Jackson to make room for Rafael Soriano, who arrives today.
Lukewarm Stove: Verlander’s Price Tag, Yankees Feeling Good About Judge, Wong as a Trade Target, Nimmo Taking Meetings Personally, More
Harper Having Elbow Surgery, Braves Becoming a Publicly-Traded Company, Velocity is Good Actually, and Other Cubs Bullets
Teven Jenkins Missed Another Practice, But Cole Kmet, David Montgomery, Kyler Gordon, and Kindle Vildor Got Upgrades
Three Different Mock Drafts Have the Bears Taking the Same Stud Offensive Lineman in the First Round