Barry Bonds is Officially the Marlins’ Hitting Coach (Wow) and Other Bullets
In these crazy, rumor-and-transaction heavy stretches, doing the non-rumor Bullets can be difficult, but also comforting. A chance to step back and get into other stuff. And, don’t worry, there’s plenty of rumor bits coming today.
- It’s really happening. Barry Bonds is the Marlins’ new hitting coach. The first thing I do want to note is that Bonds, whatever the other stuff, is probably the best hitter of all-time. He has instructed players before, including Dexter Fowler, and he might be very good at it. But adding him to the circus in Miami strikes me as almost parody, and then you throw in this:
Bonds said Loria put the idea in his head of becoming hitting coach with #Marlins. "I gave it great thought," Bonds said.
— clarkspencer (@clarkspencer) December 4, 2015
- I can’t even. The Marlins owner – one of the most polarizing (is it “polarizing” if everyone is on the other side from you?) owners in all of sports – personally worked on selecting, recruiting, and hiring a coach? After churning through so many managers in recent years, then bringing in Don Mattingly, and saying, “By the way, the owner already picked your hitting coach, and, oh, it’s Barry freaking Bonds.” It’s just so head-shakingly odd. Since, as I said, I can’t even, I’ll just let Jeff Passan.
- Mets GM Sandy Alderson will continue his duties as he receives treatment for cancer.
- Kris Bryant is gettin’ ready:
Kris Bryant says he will begin hitting in preparation for Spring Training today. Routine is hitting off a tee, facing live BP and a machine.
— David Kaplan (@thekapman) December 4, 2015
- The full minor league slate of coaches and development personnel will be announced soon, but it sounds like the Cubs have found their new hitting coordinator.
- Some autographed baseballs are on sale on Amazon right now, including a very cool trio of Anthony Rizzo balls (sorry for the #phrasing): a Wrigley 100 ball, a black and gold ball signed in white, and a 24karat gold ball.
- This has nothing to do with anything, but boy did I enjoy it:
But What About a Happ Extension, Suzuki Defense, Busy Day, Rucker, Replay Timing, and Other Cubs Bullets
FOLKS! The Cubs Are in “Advanced Discussions” on a Nico Hoerner Extension!!! (UPDATE: It’s Happening!)