Technically, the Cubs did win one game this weekend …
Friday, June 24
- Ian Happ moved up to AA, Dylan Cease had a great outing, and much more from the minor leagues.
- Among Friday’s Bullets, the planned versatility for Willson Contreras.
- Anthony Rizzo’s back stiffness kept him out of a couple games.
- The latest on Theo Epstein’s contract and the importance of hands-off ownership.
- Even other executives agree that the Cubs can make whatever upgrades they need to make without giving up their best young big league talent.
- Enjoying some Kris Bryant and Willson Contreras defensive gems.
- The Cubs closed down Friday with what would prove to be the team’s sole win of the week.
- In it, Javy Baez made his latest magical play. You just have to see these if you haven’t already.
Saturday, June 25
- The Cardinals lost one in the 9th the Mariners, and it cost Trevor Rosenthal his closer job.
- The Cubs entire system had a perfect day on Friday, and also Ian Happ pulled off a killer fakeout.
- The Cubs are really, really banged up right now.
- Anthony Rizzo returned to the lineup on Saturday, and Willson Contreras, who’s played first already, in addition to catching, moved to left field.
- The Cubs put up six runs, but, for the first time this year when scoring that many, they lost.
- Willson Contreras has so much plate coverage, and he showed it off on his third big league homer.
Sunday, June 26
- The second half is underway in the minor leagues, and Luke checked in on how things are progressing.
- Many Bullets on Addison Russell’s hot streak, Kris Bryant’s defense in left, the impact of the Cardinals’ performance, and more.
- A handful of Cubs prospects notes, including another DL stint for Pierce Johnson.
- Jose Fernandez did as Jose Fernandez does, and the Cubs couldn’t keep this one close late.
- And there was the overnight optioning of Gerardo Concepcion to AAA Iowa, though we’re still awaiting the corresponding move.
Is Peter Gammons Saying the Yankees Are Getting Gerrit Cole? Let’s Wonder Together (UPDATES: He’s Definitely Saying It)
Rangers Get Lyles, Building Rotations, Accessibility Seating at Wrigley Field, and Other Cubs Bullets
Lukewarm Stove: Everyone Should Want Contreras, Tsutsugo’s Market, Rendon is Phillies’ No. 1 Target, More
ESPN Proposes a Kris Bryant-Rangers Trade, Mostly Just Highlighting the Problem with These Two as Trade Partners