That was a very busy weekend as free agency opened up, so if you missed anything, catch up on the headlines …
Friday, November 2
- The Cubs traded Drew Smyly to the Rangers while picking up the Cole Hamels option.
- We looked at the Cubs’ payroll situation after the Hamels/Smyly moves.
- Brandon Hyde is staying with the Cubs.
- Clayton Kershaw and the Dodgers worked out a very short-term extension.
- Friday was the two-year anniversary of when IT HAPPENED.
- Rumor mill bits, including the money stuff, a Japanese ace being posed, the Indians selling, and more.
- A flurry of other roster moves for the Cubs, including another waiver claim, and a couple fringe roster guys outrighted.
- Seven free agents received qualifying offers.
Saturday, November 3
- The free agent market reportedly could be “robust” early.
- Happy to see Cole Hamels returning, and thinking on concerns in the bullpen.
- MLBTR is projecting the Cubs to sign only Andrew McCutchen and Jesse Chavez.
- The Brewers poached the Cubs’ assistant hitting coach.
Sunday, November 4