Obsessive Jon Lester Watch: Unpacking Boston Reactions and More

jon lester feature red soxBack in August, Jon Lester spoke relatively glowingly to the Boston Herald about his time with the Boston Red Sox, despite the low pre-season contract offer and the July trade. Among his comments at that time is something that’s look pretty prescient four months later: “In the greater scheme of things, we’re talking about just a stupid amount of money,” Lester said of free agency. “For me, I want to be comfortable. The way I look at it is, if someone gives you $170 million and someone gives you $150 million, is that $20 million really going to change your lifestyle?” From the sound of things, the Cubs are willing to go to $150 million on Lester, but the question is whether an over-the-top offer from, say, the Dodgers ($170 million, maybe?) could sway him. And, if those same Red Sox are anywhere close to the top of the market for him, will Boston be the place he was talking about being comfortable?

Speaking of Boston, we discussed last evening the owner’s recent visit to continue selling to Lester, his second face-to-face with Lester this offseason, which could have meant any number of things – last ditch effort? final courtesy? increased offer? showing complete commitment? – so I don’t think it’s worth trying to extrapolate meaning beyond “the Red Sox are probably still trying to sign Lester.” I find it interesting, however, that in the wake of that news, there are no fewer than three new articles out of the Boston area about how getting Lester is not really critical for the Red Sox. There’s this Boston Herald piece about how the Red Sox could turn to Max Scherzer if they don’t get Lester. There’s this Providence Journal piece about how the Red Sox could turn to the trade market if they don’t get Lester (with a sprinkling of missing-out-on-big-contracts-is-often-a-blessing-in-disguise stuff). And there’s this Boston.com piece about how the Red Sox just plain don’t need Lester, specifically, given the other options out there.

Three articles with the same tenor coming out of Boston more or less at the same time, immediately after news of an owner visit and no other indication that the Red Sox’s pursuit was in some kind of trouble.

Can we make anything of that? Probably not. It’s conceivable that Red Sox insiders are putting out the word – off the record – that they don’t like their chances on getting Lester, which has prompted various writers to start setting up alternatives, which puts them ahead of the curve. But, even if it’s true that the narrative is emanating with the Red Sox, it’s just as plausible that this has been done to get some word out there that the Red Sox have tons of non-Lester options, so they don’t need to raise whatever offer they have out to Lester. That is to say: it could be part of a negotiating tactic by the Red Sox, who don’t actually think they’re out of this thing at all.

See what I mean when I say we probably can’t make much of it? I just like to think about these things.

Among the other Lester bits out there right now …

• Are the Red Sox willing to get up into that $150 million range? We don’t know for sure – the last generally-accepted-as-true offer we heard about was six years and $110 to $120 million, and there was probably a willingness to go to $130 million – but Gordon Edes has reported an update. Edes hears from a source that the Red Sox are willing to offer “at least” $132 million. It remains entirely plausible to me that the Red Sox have decided their ceiling on Lester is in that range, and they’re hoping the lure of coming back to Boston will be the deciding factor. The Cubs, then, for their part, may have decided that an extra $20 million or so is as much as they can offer to try and overcome that lure.
  • There’s an interesting FanGraphs piece to remind us why teams are so interested in Lester in the first place – he’s really good. It’s easy to lose sight of that as you start to just focus on the pursuit, itself, and the dollars. Although there will be some regression at the margins from his career-best 2014 season, it doesn’t look like he’s a reasonable candidate for serious regression, because there wasn’t a ton of flukiness to his season. (I suppose this is also a reminder that if the Cubs are fortunate enough to get Lester, they’ll have to seriously consider adding a couple other impact players sooner rather than later, because Lester’s best years are likely to be the next couple, not several years down the road.)
  • Everyone is expecting a deal to be struck between Lester and his new (or old) team this week at the Winter Meetings – though folks were expecting a deal last week, too. Peter Gammons says the decision could come on Wednesday. The meetings last until Thursday, but, historically, folks start to head out by mid-day as the Rule 5 Draft is the focus, and various talks have concluded. Then again, there are sometimes big deals that Thursday morning – word of Albert Pujols’ huge deal with the Angels in 2011 came Thursday morning.
  • written by

Brett Taylor is the Lead Cubs Writer at Bleacher Nation, and you can find him on Twitter at @BleacherNation and on LinkedIn here. Brett is also the founder of Bleacher Nation, which opened up shop in 2008 as an independent blog about the Chicago Cubs. Later growing to incorporate coverage of other Chicago sports, Bleacher Nation is now one of the largest regional sports blogs on the web.

more cubs news

Chicago Cubs Lineup: The Six-Man Offensive Rotation Continues

CUBS LINEUP — Well, the Cubs pulled one out of their hat to take the opener against the White Sox last night. Now it's time to finish the job/sweep. Here's a look at the Cubs lineup for the short-series finale...

2024 MLB All-Star Game Voting is Now Open, Which, Ah, Um

Fan voting for the starters in the 2024 MLB All-Star Game opened up this afternoon, which means you can vote for your favorite Chicago Cubs and/or other players, should you feel they are deserving of your support. https://twitter.com/Cubs/status/1798423694425113082 Such as...

BA’s Top-100 Update Features SEVEN Cubs Prospects (And So Much Youth)

When Keith Law refreshed his top-50 prospect rankings earlier this week, the Cubs found themselves with a new top prospect overall, Matt Shaw. Though that's mostly because Pete Crow-Armstrong graduated from the rankings, and not because Shaw surpassed him. In...

Brennen Davis Gets Back to Hitting Dingers

It's been a little bit since that crazy Brennen Davis homer binge in mid-May, so I thought we'd all enjoy seeing that Davis hit his first homer in a couple weeks this afternoon. The future is still hazy for the...

Which Hitters Could Be Available and Fit the Cubs If They Try to Add a Bat This Summer?

Well, it's still early, but you can probably mark today as the official start of the 2024 MLB Trade Deadline rumor season. Why? Because Jeff Passan's first deadline preview has dropped and it is LOADED with tea. Broadly speaking, Passan...

The Cubs Will Be Ready to Go the Trade Route to Add Offense if Necessary

The dramatic win last night notwithstanding, it has been a really, really, really rough stretch for the Chicago Cubs. After peaking in late-April at the top of the NL Central standings, the Cubs have gone 12-20 to fall 6.0 games...

MLBits: Gerrit Cole Dominates Rehab Start, Triston McKenzie the Mentor, Red Sox Normalizing Normal, More

As if the Yankees couldn't be more scary for opposing teams, they're on the verge of staff ace Gerrit Cole returning to the starting rotation. That and more in today's MLB Notes. Gerrit Cole Making His Way Back Cole hit...

Cubs Farm Report | June 5, 2024: Caissie Grand Slam, Other Cubs-Sox Matchup, More

Owen Caissie hit a grand slam in the first inning for Iowa on Tuesday, and the Cubs and Sox opened a series at more than one level last night. That and more in today's Cubs Farm Report. Cubs Roster Moves...

Morel’s Moments, Imanaga’s Start, Wisdom Bananas, Defense, and Other Cubs Bullets

The next-day-step-spring is still there for me after an exciting Cubs win. I didn't think it was gone or anything, it's just that we have had precious few opportunities lately to remember. Also, it was especially fun for the game...

MLBits: Players Favorite Games, Lewis is Back, Prospect Slides, and More

Fangraphs has been running an excellent series called "Players View," in which they ask players straightforward questions about baseball. Their latest installment featured David Laurilla and Michael Baumann asking players what was the best game of their lives—that and more...

Latest News

Braves vs. Nationals: Free Live Stream, TV Channel, How to Watch

The Atlanta Braves (34-25), with Reynaldo Lopez on the mound, visit the Washington Nationals (27-33) who will start Mitchell Parker, at 6:45 PM ET on Thursday in a series opener.Keep reading to see how to watch the Atlanta-Washington matchup below.When...

Dodgers vs. Pirates: Free Live Stream, TV Channel, How to Watch

On Thursday, trying to prevent a series sweep, Walker Buehler takes the mound for the Los Angeles Dodgers (38-24) against Bailey Falter and the Pittsburgh Pirates (28-32), with first pitch scheduled for 6:40 PM ET.If you're trying to watch this...

Guardians vs. Royals: Start Time, Streaming Live, TV Channel, How to Watch

On Thursday at 1:10 PM ET, Jose Ramirez and the Cleveland Guardians (40-20) take on Bobby Witt Jr. and the Kansas City Royals (36-26) at Progressive Field.Keep scrolling to find out all the details on how to watch Cleveland take...

Major League Baseball Games on TV & Streaming Live Today, Thursday, June 6

In a Thursday MLB schedule that features 10 compelling matchups, the Minnesota Twins versus the New York Yankees is a game to watch.How to watch all the games in MLB on Thursday is included here.How to Watch MLB Today -...

Washington Nationals vs. Atlanta Braves Series June 6-9: Odds, Starting Pitchers & Predictions

The Atlanta Braves are on the road, opening a four-game series against the Washington Nationals on Thursday, June 6 at 6:45 PM ET.Nationals vs. Braves Series Info Braves @ Nationals Time: Thursday, June 6 at 6:45 PM ET Nationals Starting...

Cincinnati Reds vs. Chicago Cubs Series June 6-9: Odds, Starting Pitchers & Predictions

The Chicago Cubs will be on the road, opening a four-game set versus the Cincinnati Reds on Thursday, June 6 at 7:10 PM ET.Reds vs. Cubs Series Info Cubs @ Reds Time: Thursday, June 6 at 7:10 PM ET Reds...

Bears Day 2 Minicamp Notes: Best and Worst of Caleb, Injury Absences, More

Another day of Chicago Bears mandatory minicamp shenanigans. Let's get into it: Caleb Williams hooks up with Velus Jones Jr. I'm not even going to waste time with a wordy intro. Instead, I just want you to enjoy this throw...

The Next Coach of the Windy City Bulls? … Billy Donovan’s Son (Report)

The Chicago Bulls are building a family coaching tree. According to The Athletic's Shams Charania, the organization is set to hire Billy Donovan III as the next head coach of the Windy City Bulls. The son of the current Bulls...

What About a Teven Jenkins Extension?

Teven Jenkins is entering the final year of his rookie contract, which means the Chicago Bears will soon hit a crossroads regarding what to do with their starting left guard. Bear Report's Zack Pearson sets us up for Teven Jenkins...

2024 Toyota/Save Mart 350 Odds: NASCAR Navigates The New Pavement of Sonoma Raceway

Wild West Shuffle - Navigating the Toyota/Save Mart 350 odds from Sonoma The NASCAR Cup Series buckles up for another wild ride as they head to the scenic Sonoma Raceway! With the track sporting a brand new coat of asphalt,...

more cubs news