The trade deadline in the ultra-competitive fantasy baseball league is six days away, which means two things for me …
First: It’s time to start positioning my team for next year. Because even though my team has the third-most points, “we” have the fifth-worst record. Second: It’s almost time to pivot to fantasy football, where I am in an annoying championship drought. But with a clever team name, stealth draft moves, and a little bit of luck, I think “we” will be back in the mix this year.
- FINALLY, Bears football is back latter this week. Thursday marks Chicago’s first preseason game of the summer and I have mixed emotions. It will be neat to watch tackle football and talk about it here with you fine folks, but exhibition games remain a tough watch. You know starters will not play long and the reserves who might get the most playing time could be gone off the roster by the time games of consequence begin. But still … FOOTBALL! It is a mixed bag, to be sure.
- One thing I actually like about preseason games is how it always allows for some unheralded non-prospect to jump on our radar. Every year, a player emerges out of nowhere to become a fan favorite. I dig that so, so much. Oftentimes, preseason football represents a final opportunity for many to fulfill a life-long dream of playing in the NFL. There are plenty of long-shots to root for in the next four weeks. So through that lens, I will be watching preseason football with a keen eye. At some point, someone is going to do something to play their way onto the roster and have a full-time playing career (whether it be in Chicago or elsewhere). And guess what … I want to be on the ground floor of that underdog story when it takes off.
- Read up on a fantasy-tilted take on some of the things happening around the NFC North in a piece by ESPN’s Dan Graziano. Sometimes, there is value in what is happening in reality that can be applied to fantasy.
- The Bears’ Saturday practice at Soldier Field had a little something for everyone:
Just a not-so-quiet Saturday night spent at home with friends & family.
— Chicago Bears (@ChicagoBears) August 4, 2019
- OOH. Eddy Piñeiro has a little swag to him:
Eddy Pineiro was also asked if he watches Elliott Fry's kicks in practice. "Sometimes," he said. "Today I didn't."
— Jason Lieser (@JasonLieser) August 4, 2019
I like the feistiness of Eddy Pineiro.
Minutes after Matt Nagy said how underwhelming Pineiro and Fry were in OTAs/minicamp, Pineiro is asked about it and says, "We did well in OTAs and we’re doing well now. We didn’t do that bad in OTAs.”
— Jason Lieser (@JasonLieser) August 4, 2019
- Caps off to JJ Stankevitz (NBC Sports Chicago) for fitting in an Eddy Money reference in a headline about the Bears’ kicker.
- Well, DUH:
Bears Kicker Eddie Pineiro: “Just gotta make kicks. That’s what Chicago wants.”
— Mark Grote (@markgrotesports) August 4, 2019
- But also … ouch:
Eddy Pineiro misses from about 44 yards out. High snap and the kick went just a little left. #Bears
— Zack Pearson (@Zack_Pearson) August 5, 2019
- Can’t get enough of that sweet Mack stuff:
"Honestly, he's just better than everyone else."
— NFL (@NFL) August 5, 2019
- On the other side of the line of scrimmage, it is good to have Kyle Long back:
Kyle Long didn't miss a practice during Bears spring workouts. The veteran guard hasn't taken a day off at training camp either.
— Chicago Sports (@ChicagoSports) August 4, 2019
- If you see me at camp today, I will be wearing an Obvious Shirt. If you would like an Obvious Shirt, there is no time better than the present to buy one:
My current favorite @obvious_shirts. Just perfect.
— Bleacher Nation Bears (@BN_Bears) August 5, 2019
- OMG! Tom Brady is going to play forever, isn’t he?
Filed to ESPN: the Patriots and QB Tom Brady are close to finalizing an agreement on a contract extension, per league source. Should be done soon.
— Field Yates (@FieldYates) August 4, 2019
- Jordy Nelson can’t hurt us any more:
🧀 69 touchdown receptions
🧀 7,848 receiving yards
🧀 10 seasons in Green Bay
Jordy Nelson has officially retired as a member of the @Packers.
Some of the WR’s BEST moments in the green & gold. ⬇️⬇️ pic.twitter.com/8NAlvhn4l4
— NFL (@NFL) August 4, 2019
- I imagine this is how coaches feel when their quarterbacks throw in Eddie Jackson’s general area:
— NFL Throwback (@nflthrowback) August 4, 2019
- OH, MY! What accuracy:
— Deadspin (@Deadspin) August 4, 2019
- Ummm … this is quite a public message:
Texans placed RB D’Onta Foreman on waivers, as @McClain_on_NFL reported. Houston feels like Foreman needs a fresh start and needs to grow up.
— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) August 4, 2019