Blackhawks 3, Kraken 7 — Three Stars, Key Takeaways
When the Blackhawks’ game started, we already knew that Anaheim had lost in overtime, pushing Chicago up to the second position in the NHL Draft Lottery once again. So a regulation loss here was an ideal outcome for those who are crossing fingers and toes for the best shot possible at Connor Bedard. And, like the previous two games between these two teams, betting the over was the smart play. We had eight before the end of 40 minutes of action.
Star 1: Seth Jones
Seth scored the Blackhawks’ first two goals of the night, including a power play goal in the second period. The two markers give him 12 on the season, which ties the second-best mark of his career. He only scored five in 78 games in his first season with the Blackhawks, so cranking it up to a dozen in his 69th game of the year is a nice number.
Star 2: Andreas Athanasiou
Double-A had assists on both of Jones’ goals, giving him 17 on the season. Like Jones’ goal total, Athanasiou’s assist total ties the second-best mark of his career. That’s also three multi-point games in the last four starts for Athanasiou, who’s really turned it on lately. He also had a really good night at the dot (won 12 of 15) with Jason Dickinson moving to the wing on Jonathan Toews‘ line.
Star 3: Lukas Reichel
We learned earlier on Saturday that Reichel will head back to Rockford to help the IceHogs secure their playoff berth after tonight’s game. So how did he make a final impression on the NHL coaching staff and his teammates? How about a goal and an assist.
- With 3:14 left in the second period, it appeared the Blackhawks’ line that Chris Vosters was referring to on the broadcast as the “Sweet Khaira Line” (Neil Diamond might sue) had drawn the Blackhawks back to within one. Jujhar Khaira scored after a mess in front of the Seattle net, but the Kraken challenged the play was offside. The officials agreed, and the goal was taken off the board.
- I think we need to give some flowers to Boris Katchouk (even though he was offside). He was a healthy scratch a lot earlier in the year and struggled to find a spot in the rotation. But since trades and injuries have opened the door for him to skate every night, he’s brought a lot of energy. Katchouk has impacted the game on special teams and played a good, physical game on a line with Khaira and Joey Anderson.
- This was the first really tough night of Wyatt Kaiser‘s NHL career. He was playing his off-side with Jarred Tinordi as the Blackhawks threw their blue line in a blender and that pair was on the ice for three even-strength goals against — not great.
- Phillip Grubauer replaced Martin Jones in net for Seattle at the start of the third period… which was an interesting play considering the Kraken were winning 5-3 at the time. Jones wasn’t great, but they were winning. Jones reportedly had a hand issue.
- Jared McCann scored Seattle’s sixth goal of the night and also added an assist, giving him seven points in three games against the Blackhawks this season.