The final weekend of Spring Training is in the books, and catch yourself up on any of the headlines you may have missed …
Friday, March 23
- Kris Bryant sees this year’s club as maybe being even better than the 2016 team.
- Bryant also said the Cubs might have eight MVP candidates, which, that’s probably a bridge too far, but it’s fun to consider.
- The Brewers reportedly tried to land Jake Arrieta and Alex Cobb. But, you know.
- Jed Hoyer got into a range of topics, and even took over the Cubs’ Twitter account.
- The Cubs confirmed that they’ll go with eight relievers to start the season.
- The front office pranked Tommy La Stella in the middle of the game.
- News from around the league, including a big hit in the St. Louis bullpen.
- The Cubs won on Friday, but lost Peter Bourjos to free agency (well, they let him go).
- Ian Happ hit yet another leadoff homer, and Kyle Schwarber made a bumblin’, tumblin’ catch.
Saturday, March 24
- The Giants lost Madison Bumgarner, the Cubs lost a couple relief prospects, and other Bullets.
- The Cubs made the surprising announcement that Victor Caratini – not Chris Gimenez – would be the team’s backup catcher to open the season.
- In his leadoff at bat Saturday night, Ian Happ homered, because of course he did.
Sunday, March 25
- Closing down Sloan, Rizzo’s dinger, and other Bullets.
- As for that surprising decision to roll with Victor Caratini as the backup catcher to open the season, Joe Maddon offered up his reasons.
- The Cubs won their Cactus League finale over the Royals.
- The Phillies signed a top positional prospect to a six-year deal with three option years in conjunction with announcing that he’s made the Opening Day roster. Interesting.
MLBits: A Trio of Free Agent Signings, Rockies Owner Still Saying Weird Things, RSN Bankruptcy Talk, More
The Reported Price Tags on Lefties Andrew Chafin, Matt Moore, and Zack Britton Could Explain Their Continued Free Agency
Mancini’s Fit at Wrigley, Swanson as Lester, Hoerner’s Early Success, Another Rays Extension, and Other Cubs Bullets