I always make sure to take some time to allow myself to clear my head and reflect when my calendar flips to March 1, as I honor my mother’s passing (which happened three years ago today). Go hug someone you love while you have the opportunity, because you never know when it will be the last time. And the weather is supposed to be nice in Chicago today, so there is no excuse. Just do it.
- It’s the first day of March. MLB’s Opening Day happens later this month. And in a few weeks, March Madness tips off. But around here, the start of March means NFL’s offseason is about to kick into high gear. I’m ready for it. Enough of non-committal commitments. Less of that and more action … please.
- Put your feet up on that coffee table, take what’s in the fridge, kick back, and check out the absolute best of Bears “Mic’d Up” from 2019:
- That collection of “Mic’d Up” moments almost makes you forget the Bears were a disappointing 8-8 last year. It almost makes you look past the short-comings of players you thought had another level to their games and the holes throughout the roster. Almost.
- I could sit and watch “Mic’d Up” for hours. In fact, I may or may not have done so during one of my recent sleepless nights. There are worse places to be than down a YouTube rabbit hole of “Mic’d Up” episodes you’ve never seen before.
- ICYMI: The Packers are looking to poach another standout Bears defender when free agency opens.
- While things north of the state border are on my mind, it’s worth noting that Florida International quarterback (and life-long Packers fan) James Morgan is getting plenty of attention at the Scouting Combine:
FIU QB James Morgan had a good combine week. Teams appearing to show most interest include Bears, Packers, Bucs, Jets, Panthers, Colts. Earning some Kirk Cousins comps
— Eric Edholm (@Eric_Edholm) March 1, 2020
- The Bears met with Morgan at the East-West Shrine Game back in January. That’s when Morgan caught the eyes of scouts with an impressive week at the prospect showcase and inspired me to DVR the Spring Game. Morgan has some serious diamond-in-the-rough vibes. And even though he grew up a Packers fan idolizing Brett Favre and Aaron Rodgers, how could a QB-needy team like the Bears not kick the tires on this prospect?
- FWIW: Morgan is the 15th-ranked QB prospect at CBS Sports. That could put him in a place where the Bears take a seventh-round flier on him. Frankly, they could do worse things with that pick (though I wouldn’t dare tempt them to do actual worse things).
- This seems to be a coded message of sorts:
Shmandy Shmalton https://t.co/2vpbHhnBfE
— Courtney Cronin (@CourtneyRCronin) March 1, 2020
- The Bears aren’t playing against the Falcons in Mexico, tweets Chris Emma of 670 The Score. Chicago’s showdown against Atlanta could have been plucked to be played south of the border, but the Arizona Cardinals will get that honor. As someone who has circled Atlanta as a possible away game trip, this is welcome news.
- An edge defender running a 4.64 40-yard dash? Let’s meet Jabari Zuniga:
Florida's Jabari Zuniga finished the night with the top Athleticism Score among edge rushers (93) after a strong combine workout.
— Next Gen Stats (@NextGenStats) March 1, 2020
Athleticism Scores for the 2020 edge rusher class are now official.
Jabari Zuniga (Florida) tops our list with a 93 Athleticism Score, followed by James Smith-Williams (NC State), Malcolm Roach (Texas), Kenny Willekes (Michigan State) and Alton Robinson (Syracuse). pic.twitter.com/0qQavgPPHS
— Next Gen Stats (@NextGenStats) March 1, 2020
- Oh my:
— Joseph Yun #ForTheBoy (@DuckinNoles247) August 25, 2019
Jabari Zuniga too quick off the snap and absolutely eats D’Andre Swift for the TFL. pic.twitter.com/qn8XlBv4gg
— Rob Paul (@RobPaulNFL) November 2, 2019
- The Bears have met with Zuniga at the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis, per BearReport.com.
- Jeremy Chinn is a prospect I’d love for the Bears to look at:
Jeremy Chinn is the tallest safety out of the 26 at the NFL Combine in Indianapolis, but the first consensus All-American in SIU history since MyCole Pruitt in 2014 still faces questions about where he fits best at the next… https://t.co/k53zv1eTpe
— Southern Illinoisan (@thesouthern) March 1, 2020
- My affiliation to Southern Illinois aside, the Bears could use a safety to pair with Eddie Jackson this season. And getting one on a rookie-scale deal in the upcoming draft would allow the team to spend free agency dollars elsewhere. Just a thought.
- This big man can scoot:
A 308 lb. man just ran a 4.76
That man is Nebraska’s Khalil Davis.pic.twitter.com/dKSCSw4WOl
— PFF Draft (@PFF_College) February 29, 2020
- I don’t know about you, but I’m having fun watching some of these drills:
This looks like fun pic.twitter.com/3b4l58Avtr
— Bleacher Nation Bears (@BN_Bears) February 29, 2020
- If the Bears had a first-round pick, there is a good chance Clemson’s Isaiah Simmons would be my favorite prospect:
• Taller than DK Metcalf
• Heavier than Roquan Smith
• Faster than Devin Hester
• Jumps higher than Julio Jones
— NFL Research (@NFLResearch) March 1, 2020
Isaiah Simmons is about to destroy the NFL combine.
Definition of versatility. pic.twitter.com/wUSnKaENH0
— B/R Gridiron (@brgridiron) February 27, 2020
Clemson LB Isaiah Simmons’ Combine results so far:
▫️6-4, 238 pounds
▫️9 5/8th inch hands, 33 3/8th inch arms
▫️39” vertical jump
▫️11-foot broad jump
This man was built in a lab.
— Field Yates (@FieldYates) March 1, 2020
isaiah simmons szn
— Austin Gayle (@PFF_AustinGayle) March 1, 2020
- Just keep this guy out of the NFC North, for crying out loud!
- A recent mock draft from Josh Edwards (CBS Sports) has Simmons going seventh overall to the Panthers. Carolina is on the Bears’ schedule this year, but the idea of him filling in the Luke Kuechly role feels right.
- Speaking of mock drafts. … If the NBA Draft happened today (it doesn’t) and the Bulls were to stick with the No. 7 pick overall (that seems pretty likely), Tankathon.com has them taking North Carolina point guard Cole Anthony. All things considered, I wouldn’t hate if that happened.
- The Bulls are 1-9 in their last 10. Hence, we’re having conversations about mock drafts over on the Bulls side of things:
Bulls Continue to Find New Rock Bottoms: Knicks 125, Bulls 115https://t.co/kxszXEqVmd
— Bleacher Nation Bulls (@BN_Bulls) March 1, 2020
- Sale ends Monday:
— Bleacher Nation Bears (@BN_Bears) March 1, 2020