I took a bit of a risk while making chili the other day, but the results have turned out fabulous. By splicing a half pound of hot Italian ground sausage with my two pounds of ground sirloin, the meat in my chili had an up-tick in flavor and heat. That’s what chili is all about, right?
- Jay Glazer of FOX Sports/The Athletic believes the Bears are going to add another quarterback because, well, duh. The writing has been on the wall since GM Ryan Pace’s first non-committal commitment to Mitch Trubisky to end the 2019 season. The non-committal commitment has continued into this calendar year, with recent reports surfacing that Chicago was set to bring a veteran quarterback into Halas Hall for competition. It’s just good to read further confirmation from someone as rooted in football knowledge as Glazer.
- Unfortunately, Glazer doesn’t dive into the Bears’ options or link the team to any specific names on the rumor mill. But Glazer does draw comparisons to the Titans situation last year with Marcus Mariota and Ryan Tannehill. That comp is going to be brought up time and again this offseason, so brace yourselves.
- In the Bears’ ideal world, Trubisky wins the gig outright, reverts to his 2018 ways, plays solid, complementary football, and gets the Bears back into the hunt for a Super Bowl. That’s the Bears’ obvious Plan A. It’s just that Plan B needs to be better because there are serious doubts about Plan A. No, this isn’t an ideal situation. But it’s what the Bears have in front of them at the moment. And if you’re not making the best out of your situation as a GM, then what exactly are you doing?
- From an analyst’s perspective, ESPN’s Matt Bowen sees Ryan Tannehill as a fit for Matt Nagy’s offense:
Tannehill — Athletic traits at the position, with the ability to anticipate windows & drive the ball off play-action.
That’s a fit for Nagy’s offense…if the Bears wanted to make a move at QB. https://t.co/Enx6DyzLC2
— Matt Bowen (@MattBowen41) March 2, 2020
- Tannehill had some good years with the Dolphins (and Bill Lazor), but it’s tough to see him leaving Tennessee. Maybe we’ll cross that bridge later if the time comes and the QB landscape there starts to shift.
- Robert Mays (The Ringer) chimes in with a post-Combine write-up. Among the topics — you guessed it — chatter surrounding the Bears’ quarterback position. Mays lays out a baseline for the Bears’ plan to potentially snag Andy Dalton, offering up a path that would likely include the Bears trying to convinced the Bengals to pay down some of Dalton’s cap hit (the Dolphins did that with the Tannehill deal), then moving from there to offer up draft capital to secure Dalton. Anything to save a few bucks against the cap!
- Another day, another link to the Bears and Florida International QB James Morgan:
Among the teams most interested in Florida International quarterback James Morgan after a strong NFL scouting combine: Chicago Bears, Green Bay Packers, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, New York Jets, Carolina Panthers and Indianapolis Colts
— Aaron Wilson (@AaronWilson_NFL) March 2, 2020
- Depending on how the Bears address their QB2 situation, my gut says the team should also be smart about looking for a developmental QB3. There have been plenty of rave reviews about Morgan as a late-round diamond-in-the-rough type. There are obvious kinks that need to be worked out (obvious, because he would be going a lot higher in mock drafts if there weren’t). But at some point, your team has to go out and take shots.
- I feel as if there are worse players to be compared to than Chase Daniel:
— PFF (@PFF) March 2, 2020
- As a former wedding DJ, there are times when I nerd out when it comes to weddings. And I’ve gotta say that Pat O’Donnell is absolutely slaying this look:
- Congrats to the happy couple. Here’s hoping their DJ was as good as yours truly.
- Thanks for the invite:
— Chicago Bears (@ChicagoBears) March 2, 2020
- Always love seeing retired Bears stars give back to the community:
#DaBears 7x Pro Bowler @JayHilgenberg joined @PNCBank & @JordanFound at @WHBrown_STEM for #ReadAcrossAmerica day to celebrate the birthday of Dr. Seuss! #HomeroomHuddle #GrowUpGreat pic.twitter.com/OpQdteEPMC
— Chicago Bears (@BearsOutreach) March 3, 2020
- Someone wake up Rob Manfred and tell him that ESPN and the Cubs just fixed baseball:
I totally get that there would be logistical issues with doing live mics during the regular season, but MLB needs to realize just how awesome today was. KB and Riz mic'd up was one of the best things I've seen in a while. https://t.co/xkPaOIRMy7
— Brett Taylor (@Brett_A_Taylor) March 2, 2020
- Unfortunately, the Astros have proven to be untrustworthy. Therefore, this idea probably won’t take off. Which is a shame. Thanks for nothing, Astros!
- Only the Bulls:
The Bulls have the unique ability to still make me walk away from a win frustrated.
— Bleacher Nation Bulls (@BN_Bulls) March 3, 2020
Okay … I Know This Is Weird, But the Bulls Just Beat an Above .500 Team: Bulls 109, Mavs 107https://t.co/WY4K5vAQ5h
— Bleacher Nation Bulls (@BN_Bulls) March 3, 2020