The Cubs won a series this weekend. A road series! That means it was a good weekend.
Friday, June 16
- We opened the weekend with thoughts on the question I always get: “When Is It OK to Worry?”
- The Cubs and the City have a new fight, Kyle Schwarber could still have a catching future, and other Bullets.
- At last, Ben Zobrist hit the DL with his wrist issue, and Tommy La Stella returned.
- The Cubs landed two college pitchers in the first round of the draft, and we got to know Brendon Little and Alex Lange.
- Anthony Rizzo totally homered for a third straight leadoff plate appearance … but the umps took it away, and everyone freaked.
- It took a 9th inning comeback, but the Cubs took out the Pirates in the series opener.
- The Cubs’ wild 9th inning was capped off by an impressive Kyle Schwarber slide.
Saturday, June 17
- The Cubs have some pitching prospects at High-A putting together a really nice year.
- Among Saturday’s Bullets, spillover from the non-Rizzo-homer, from Cubs injury issues, and more.
- The thumb issue that’s bothered Jake Arrieta actually extends back to Spring Training.
- Hopefully he’ll be fine after yesterday’s hand scrape, because Jason Heyward just makes great play after great play.
- Despite a two-run homer from Jake Arrieta, the Cubs dropped the middle game of the series to the Pirates by a run.
Sunday, June 18
- Eloy Jimenez is somehow improving his prospect standing, despite already being a top ten prospect in baseball.
- Jake Arrieta had a sweat problem, the Cubs need to make their own breaks, and many more Bullets.
- The Cubs beat the Pirates to claim their first road series victory since April.
- Among other offensive highlights, Ian Happ got to homer in front of his hometown crowd.
Winter Meetings, Wednesday Night: What’s Happening with the Shortstops? Correa or Swanson? Cubs and Murphy? More
Around the Association: Donovan Mitchell Spoils LeBron’s Homecoming, Nike Dumps Kyrie, Trouble in Atlanta, More