The NFPLA has voted for an All-Pro team, voted on by the players for the first time today. The NFLPA explained what makes this list different from the traditional All-Pro Team and how the selection process works in a release, and here are the key takeaways:
- Only active NFL players can vote and they get only one vote.
- If a player missed five or more games as of Week 15, then they are ineligible. This is to ensure that we are choosing the best players who had the most impact this season. Being available counts.
- Players cannot vote for themselves or for their own teammates
- Players vote for the position group they play in and line up against.
- For example, centers can vote for: centers, nose tackles, interior defensive linemen, and off-ball linebackers.
It seems like a great way to select the All-Pro team and a way in which players can be chosen for the honor by their peers who line up against them.
Here’s the inaugural Players’ All-Pro team:
Offense 1st Team All-Pro
- Quarterback: Patrick Mahomes (Chiefs)
- Running Back: Josh Jacobs (Raiders)
- Fullback: Kyle Juszczyk (49ers)
- Wide Receiver: Justin Jefferson (Vikings), Davante Adams (Raiders)
- Tight End: Travis Kelce (Chiefs)
- Left Tackle: Trent Williams (49ers)
- Left Guard: Joel Bitonio (Browns)
- Center: Jason Kelce (Eagles)
- Right Guard: Zack Martin (Cowboys)
- Right Tackle: Lane Johnson (Eagles)
The players pretty much got it right on this one, with Mahomes under center and both of the Kelce brothers on the roster.
I would have preferred to see A.J. Brown opposite Justin Jefferson at wide receiver if the true spirit of the voting process is based on the impact made this season alone. Brown’s impact on the Eagles was much more significant than Adams’ on the Raiders, simply because Brown helped Jalen Hurts take the next step in his development and help propel the Eagles to a 14-win season, but I don’t hate the Adams selection.
Defense 1st Team All-Pro
- Interior Defensive Lineman: Chris Jones (Chiefs), Aaron Donald (Rams)
- EDGE Rushers: Nick Bosa (49ers), Myles Garrett (Browns)
- Nose Tackle: Dexter Lawrence (Giants)
- Off-Ball Linebackers: Roquan Smith (Ravens), Fred Warner (49ers)
- Free Safety: Minkah Fitzpatrick (Steelers)
- Strong Safety: Derwin James Jr. (Chargers)
- Cornerbacks: Pat Surtain II (Broncos), Darius Slay (Eagles)
Look at Roquan, finally getting the shine he deserves after all these years of being snubbed from these lists. He earned his bag and his flowers from his peers in the last 24 hours; good for him!
Special Teams 1st Team All-Pro
- Kicker: Jason Myers (Seahawks)
- Punter: Tommy Townsend (Chiefs)
- Punt Returner: KaVontae Turpin (Cowboys)
- Kick Returner: Cordarrelle Patterson (Falcons)
- Core Teamers: Jeremy Reaves (Commanders), Justin Hardee (Jets)
- Long Snapper: Morgan Cox (Titans)
I’m thrilled to see Jeremy Reaves get named to this team after seeing his and his teammate’s reactions to his first Pro Bowl selection a few weeks ago.