Greetings from Las Vegas, Pro Bowl Details, Sean Payton’s Mile-High Task, and Other NFL Bullets
Do you know what stinks? In-flight Wi-Fi. $8 for a spotty connection and some washed-up free movies. Do you know what is awesome? Having that problem. I didn’t do much flying as a kid. Besides a flight I was too young to remember to Disney World, all family vacations were behind the wheel. As I’ve gotten older, I’ve done more traveling and flying, and I enjoy it more than I thought I would.
Waking up this morning and knowing that I’ll need just one layer of clothing and a pair of shades is even nicer. I’m in Vegas for the Pro Bowl this weekend, and I’m really looking forward to the experience. I’ll have plenty of content, mostly on social, but some written. So, it’s a good time to drop some links to follow if you’re interested:
- Bleacher Nation NFL on Twitter
- Bleacher Nation NFL on Facebook (please like us here, if you haven’t already!)
- Me on Twitter
- Speaking of the Pro Bowl Games, here are the finalized rosters:
- And a summary of this weekend’s events and when and where you can watch them:
- So, we have three coaching vacancies filled and two to go. The Cardinals and Colts are still searching for their next head coaches. According to ESPN insider Josina Anderson, Detroit Lions defensive coordinator was on his way to Indianapolis last night for a second interview with the Colts.
- Glenn will be the seventh candidate to get a second interview. Glenn joins Packers special teams coordinator Rich Bisaccia, Bengals offensive coordinator Brian Callahan, Broncos defensive coordinator Ejiro Evero, Giants defensive coordinator Wink Martindale, Rams defensive coordinator Raheem Morris and Colts interim head coach Jeff Saturday.
- Glenn also has drawn interest from the Cardinals, whose head coaching job remains open. During the 2022 hiring cycle, Glenn interviewed with the Saints and Broncos. The Lions DC has spent two seasons with Detroit after two years as the Browns’ assistant defensive backs coach and five years as the Saints’ defensive backs coach.
- On the same day that Tom Brady’s retirement ended the idea that he might want to join the 49ers next season, Kyle Shanahan said that the team wouldn’t be looking for a “high-profile” veteran QB. When asked if the 49ers were interested in a veteran backup behind Brock Purdy and Trey Lance next season, Shanahan said the 49ers were “content enough” under center.
- Shanahan and San Francisco GM John Lynch also said that Jimmy Garoppolo would be moving on from the team as a free agent and that Purdy and Lance are expected to be healthy for training camp next season.
- The Miami Dolphins and the NFL lost a lifer on Wednesday. Long-time NFL front office executive Bobby Beathard passed away at the age of 86.
- Beathard had most of his success in Washington, where, as the GM, he hired Joe Gibbs and helped cultivate a roster that won three Super Bowls. Beathard spent 28 years in NFL front offices and was enshrined in the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 2018. Beathard is also the father of Jaguars backup quarterback C.J. Beathard.
- Was he their first choice? Was he their second or third choice? No one but the Broncos will know that. Regardless, Sean Payton is the new head coach in Denver. And no matter how convoluted the hiring process was, the task ahead of Payton in his return to the sidelines will be even more arduous.
- I wrote about the process, the hire, the cost, and the plan for Payton and the Broncos on Wednesday. It wasn’t easy, and it won’t be easy moving forward.
- In a very disturbing story this week, Eagles offensive lineman Josh Sills has been indicted on rape and kidnapping charges.
- Ohio attorney general Dave Yost and Guernsey County sheriff Jeffrey D. Paden announced the charges on Wednesday in a statement. Sills, 25, was indicted on one count of rape and one count of kidnapping stemming from a December 2019 incident. Both charges are first-degree felonies in Ohio.
- Joe Burrow is getting a contract extension this offseason. So that’s where the Bengals’ offseason plan starts, and the rest revolves around it:
- The Arena Football League is back!
- Here are the updated and official NFL cap and tag numbers for this offseason:
- The likelihood of Patrick Kane and Jonathan Toews sticking around is becoming less and less by the day:
Broncos Not Trading Jerry Jeudy or Courtland Sutton, Owners Meetings, Salary Cap Updates, and Other NFL Bullets