Ravens Sign Rock Ya-Sin, Bill Belichick Screws the Jets, and Other NFL Bullets
I watched the news this morning while getting the kids ready for school, and I think we might have made it. We’re looking at highs in the 70s for the next 10 days, so hopefully, the early spring chill is behind us as we approach Mother’s Day next week. Anyways, the Ravens have made an addition, signing cornerback Rock Ya-Sin to a one-year deal on Wednesday.
- ESPN’s Adam Schefter reported that the former Raiders and Colts corner is heading to Baltimore on a one-year deal worth $6 million.
- With veteran Marcus Peters no longer in Baltimore, the Ravens needed help at corner this offseason. Rock Ya-Sin is only 26 years old and has 38 starts. Ya-Sin can be penciled in as an immediate starter for the Ravens opposite Marlon Humphrey. Ya-Sin played three seasons in Indianapolis before being traded to Vegas last year. He has shown steady improvement yearly, with the opposing quarterback’s passing ratings reducing year-over-year over the previous three seasons, going from 98.7 in 2020 to 88.8 in 2021 to 82.6 last year.
- The Kansas City Chiefs signed veteran offensive tackle Donovan Smith to a one-year deal worth up to $9 million, per NFL Media’s Tom Pelissero.
- In agent news, Klutch Sports has acquired ELITE Athlete Management. As a result, ELITE Athlete Management CEO Zeke Sandhu and his 40 clients will join Klutch Sports. Odell Beckham Jr., Christian Kirk, Zay Jones, Isaiah Hodgins, and Kyler Gordon are just some notable athletes moving to Klutch Sports with Sandhu.
- Kansas City Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes’ younger brother, Jackson Mahomes, is in hot water with Kansas City law enforcement. Jackson Mahomes was arrested on Wednesday and charged with three felony counts of aggravated sexual battery and a fourth misdemeanor count of battery. The Johnson County Detention Center released Jackson after he posted a bond worth $100,000.. He bonded out Wednesday afternoon.
- The alleged incident happened on Feb. 25, 2023, at Aspens Restaurant and Bar Lounge in Overland Park. Video circulating online shows Jackson Mahomes, 22, kissing the 40-year-old owner of the restaurant located at 6995 W. 151st Street.
- Mahomes’ attorneys released a statement in March regarding the accusations:
“We have provided law enforcement with the tools and evidence they need to evaluate the claims against Jackson,” it read. “Every interaction between people needs to be placed in the proper context. Releasing a short clip of any video does not provide proper context. We have faith in the process and look forward to a swift resolution of the matter.”
- So, Patrick Mahomes will be in Vegas this summer, teaming up with Travis Kelce in a PGA TOUR match play event at The Wynn. However, I’m pretty salty about this because I’ll be in Vegas just a few days later, on July 2. Maybe I’ll extend the trip? Probably not, though.
- The Patriots announced that former linebacker Mike Vrabel is joining the team’s Hall of Fame!
- NFL Network’s Kyle Brandt released his “AFC QB Tiers” on Wednesday. However, they weren’t kind to Jacksoville’s Trevor Lawrence. Brandt placed Lawrence in the sixth tier (of seven). Of course, Lawrence had a perfect response to Brandt this morning on Twitter.
- The Washington Post’s Jason La Canfora reported that some GMs around the NFL weren’t thrilled with the Patriots’ first-round trade-back last week. According to La Canfora, GMs that he has spoken to believe that Belichick took less compensation to allow the Steelers to trade up in front of AFC East rival New York to take Broderick Jones, the tackle that the Jets indeed would have taken. “Bill will try to screw them over any chance he gets. He knew exactly what he was doing.”
“They should have had to give up a [third-round pick] and not a four to move up there,” said one NFL general manager who had been keeping tabs on a potential trade up with the Patriots. He spoke on the condition of anonymity because he did not want to cause potential conflicts with either team. “Belichick did it just to f— the Jets. He sold low because he knew the Steelers were going to take the kid the Jets wanted to take.”
- That’s obviously speculation, but it makes perfect sense. Of course, I love the level of pettiness by Belichick.
- Luis tabbed a pair of NFL free agents who would fit the Bears roster:
- So, today is the day! Miguel Amaya is in the Cubs lineup: