In 99 days, we’ll be gearing up for Bears-Packers putting the 2019 NFL regular-season in motions. It gives me butterflies just thinking about it.
- Vic Fangio is still speaking his truth in Denver. When discussing top tight end prospect Noah Fant, The Athletic’s Nicki Jhabvala captured a quote that is so Fangio. “Yeah, he can run,” Fangio said. “We all knew that. That was easy, but now he has to learn how to be a tight end in the NFL. He’s got the tools, but you know I can go into Home Depot and walk out with a bunch of nice tools and I’m not a carpenter. We have to teach him how to be a tight end in the NFL, and he’s working great at it.”
- I don’t think I speak for just myself when I say Bears fans will miss Fangio’s dry wit and clear-cut honesty. Treat him well, Denver.
- You can make a case that the Raiders are the most interesting team in football heading into the 2019 season. They spent a bunch of money, turned over the roster, cut some dead weight, added some stars, and added depth through the draft. They also added some combustible personalities, with the latest being offensive lineman Richie Incognito. Between Incognito, wide receiver Antonio Brown, and linebacker Vontaze Burfict, it doesn’t take a football wizard to see how things could go south quickly. Incognito has been voted by his fellow players as among the dirtiest players in the league on multiple occasions. Burfict has missed 10 games over the last three seasons because of various suspensions. Brown didn’t have a bad rap until things went haywire at the end of his run in Pittsburgh. If you seek drama, this is the team to follow.
- With OTA season here and training camp approaching, it’s a good time to share this:
We're 1️⃣0️⃣0️⃣ days out from the 100th @NFL season.
Through the years, there's been so many great stories of B1G players going from walk-on to NFL star.
— Big Ten Network (@BigTenNetwork) May 28, 2019
- You don’t have to tell Bears fans how much special teams matters. We have seen the best of times (Robbie Gould! Devin Hester! Dave Toub!) and the worst of times *gestures at the Bears special teams units since 2015* and it’s not something we should ever take for granted again.
- Tom Brady showing off leadership skills, even after missing OTAs:
Tom Brady is skipping voluntary OTAs for personal reasons but still working out with his receivers on his own time to make sure he doesn't lose timing.
— Dov Kleiman (@NFL_DovKleiman) May 25, 2019
- Unfortunately, Brady will be without his top tight end target to start the regular season:
A Facebook post by Patriots TE Benjamin Watson explains how he knew his decision to return to the NFL would include a four-game suspension, and he shares the context of the situation in detail. pic.twitter.com/UHVEppk6g4
— Mike Reiss (@MikeReiss) May 26, 2019
- Saquon Barkely wants all the smoke, telling the Giants website there is no limit to how many touches he can get. “I don’t think any number is too high for me personally,” Barkley told the Giants’ official site after a recent round of OTAs. “At the end of the day, I know I sound like a broken record, but you will hear this for as long as I am in the NFL, as long as I take care of my body, my body will take care of me. … Whether it is 350 touches, 400 touches or less touches next year. Whatever I have to do to have this team compete for a championship, I am going to do.”
- There were some issues with how Giants Head Coach Pat Shurmur used Barkley, with the biggest criticism being he didn’t get the ball enough. Good luck telling that to Bears fans after watching Barkley last season.
The #Broncos gave CB Chris Harris a 1-year deal that includes $9.8M salary that was already on the books, plus a $650K workout bonus and a $600K roster bonus. That totals $11.05M. Add in the $1M option that was already paid and it gets Harris to $12.05M.
— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) May 29, 2019
- Talk your talk:
Is @jalenramsey the best trash talker in the game? 😤
— NFL Network (@nflnetwork) May 28, 2019
- I’m always up for sharing things that go toward a great cause:
Help Me Help Feeding America. Come out to the Green & Gold Charity Softball Game on Saturday June 1st. Use Promo Code FEED for 💰 off your ticket and 💰 to Feeding American Eastern Wisconsin. That’s a Win-Win. Get your tickets today. pic.twitter.com/AyGfsyHgZD
— Davante Adams (@tae15adams) May 23, 2019
- Look who’s moving up the Giants’ depth chart:
Daniel Jones split second-team reps on Tuesday with Alex Tanney. Coach Pat Shurmur thinks the rookie QB is "getting better every day."
— Jordan Raanan (@JordanRaanan) May 28, 2019
- When finding an Eli Manning replacement goes too far:
Eli Manning has found a host body pic.twitter.com/cq3fAoxZvc
— Patrick Daugherty (@RotoPat) May 24, 2019
- As for New York’s other football team, the Jets are setting up interviews for candidates:
— Charles Robinson (@CharlesRobinson) May 29, 2019
- Hey! It’s not just the Bears who have a crummy kicking situation:
Chris Boswell speaks about focusing on his next kick, his approach to the 2019 season and more following today's OTA. pic.twitter.com/fM8bxSYpI0
— Pittsburgh Steelers (@steelers) May 28, 2019
A Hard Knocks announcement is due soon and a reminder of the five teams that are ineligible to say no:
— Field Yates (@FieldYates) May 28, 2019
- I’m pulling for either the Raiders or Lions. Embrace the clown car act!